In the event of a major, campus-wide outage, the University of Michigan-Dearborn has emergency generators that will restore power to some areas of campus. To report a power outage call Facilities Management at 593-5270 during business hours and Public Safety 593-5333 after business hours.
Keep a flashlight and batteries in key locations throughout your work areas.
IN CASE OF A MAJOR, CAMPUS-WIDE POWER OUTAGE:
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions from Public Safety or Facilities Management for immediate action.
- If evacuation of a building is required, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments, unplug electrical equipment, and shut off research gases prior to evacuating. All chemicals should be stored in their original locations. Fully open fume hoods. If this not possible or natural ventilation is inadequate, evacuate the laboratory until the power is returned.
- Do not light candles or other types of flame for lighting.
- Unplug all electrical equipment (including computers) and turn off the light switches.
IF PEOPLE ARE TRAPPED IN AN ELEVATOR:
- Tell passengers to stay calm and that you are getting help.
- Call 911 and provide information.
- Stay near the passengers until police or other assistance arrives provided it is safe to stay in the building.
1. STOP all operations
2. DO NOT TOUCH ANY LIGHT SWITCHES OR ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.
3. Notify Facilities Management at 3-5270 (during normal business hours) or Public Safety after normal business hours at 911 or 593-5333.