Crime Prevention and Security Awareness Programs
Crime Prevention and Security Awareness Programs on personal safety and theft prevention are sponsored by the University of Michigan - Dearborn Public Safety and other various campus organizations throughout the year. Public Safety personnel facilitate programs for student, parent, faculty, and new employee orientations and annual campus crime prevention day. Training and a variety of educational strategies and tips on how to protect themselves from sexual assault, theft and other crimes are provided. Upon request, additional presentations and meetings are arranged for any department or group.
Crime Prevention Tips
* Safety in numbers. When walking to or from a class, try and walk with classmates or another student walking in your direction.
* Check out your surroundings. Walk with a sense of confidence. Look around and stay aware of what is going on around you.
* Listen to your "gut feelings". If you get that "butterfly" feeling in the pit of your stomach that something isn't right, your usually correct. Follow your instincts!
* Lock your vehicle. Don't make it easy for a thief to take your car. Don't leave valuables out in the open. Put them in your trunk. Invest in a simple steering wheel locking device.
* Have your keys out and ready. Don't reach your car, only to fumble around in a purse or book bag looking for your keys.
* Let someone know. If your having problems with an estranged spouse or an "ex" that has been stalking you, let friends and family know. Tell Public Safety and we'll assist you. Document these kind of problems with your local police department. Stalking is against the law, either by mail, computer, phone, or in person!
* Be responsible. Safeguard your belongings. If you set your book bag down and walk away from it, the chances are it is not going to be there when you come back. Don't carry large amounts of cash, cell phones, or laptops that you won't be using. Mark your valuables. Use your Driver's License Number, it can be traced back directly to you!
* Let Public Safety help you. The department provides 24 hour escort service. We have officers with years of experience in campus safety, corporate investigations, law enforcement, and crime prevention. Our department is in full operation seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our mission is to help in making your University of Michigan experience a safe one with great memories. If we can offer any assistance to you, come in and see us. We are located in the CSS building right next to the parking structure on north campus. The non-emergency phone number to dispatch and operations is 593 - 5333. For emergencies or while out on campus, pick up any emergency phone, that will link into our dispatch center.