Q: What is the Annual Fund for the University of Michigan-Dearborn?
The Annual Fund for the University of Michigan-Dearborn is the sum of all annual gifts (unrestricted, current-use funds) made to the University in a given fiscal year. Our fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. Annual gifts provide much needed general, unrestricted support for the University's current operations instead of being added to the endowment. Annual gifts are the best way to consistently and broadly show support for UM-Dearborn.

Q: Why does the Annual Fund need my support every year?
Tuition dollars and state aid only are not sufficient to cover the cost of educating UM-Dearborn students. Without the Annual Fund, each student's tuition bill would increase significantly each year.

Q: Where exactly do Annual Fund dollars go?
Unlike gifts to the endowment, 100% of annual fund dollars are spent to provide immediate support to the University’s annual operating budget. In addition, organizations that rank and compare Universities use the percentage of alumni who give to each University as one of the criteria factored into their comparative rankings. In addition, many corporations and foundations use alumni giving participation as a determining factor in deciding whether or not to fund grant requests.

Q: How do I make a gift?
The quickest way would be to use our secure online giving site. However, you can also make a gift by mail or by contacting the Office of Institutional Advancement at (313) 593-5130. For more details, including how to make gifts of stock or bequest, please see our Ways to Give page.

Q: Can I designate my gift to a specific school/college, (where else)?
All gifts to the Fund for UM-Dearborn provide unrestricted support which allows the University to put funds to use wherever the need is greatest. However, you may choose from hundreds of funds. These may be funds within your own unit or funds related to scholarships, the Library, diversity programs, ECEC, athletics, or the Environmental Interpretive Center, to name a few.

Please note: You cannot make a charitable gift for your travel or sponsored activity or a fund that you control. This type of gift is not considered a charitable gift by the IRS because the contribution is for a private benefit. For example, contributions directed for the purchase of equipment, or furnishings for offices or laboratories of specified individuals; or for their travel or sponsored activities; or contributions to an account over which the transferor/donor has expenditure control do not qualify under IRS guidelines as a charitable gift. As a result, the University will not issue a gift receipt.

Conversely, when faculty members contribute to a department discretionary account over which they have no expenditure control (e.g., have no signing authority), their gifts are considered charitable gifts and the University can issue gift receipts.

If you have a further question on this issue, please contact the Office of General Counsel at 734-647-6095.

Q: Are annual gifts tax-deductible?
Yes! Any gift to UM-Dearborn is tax-deductible. Gifts of stock, mutual funds or other appreciated securities are also tax-friendly ways of giving to the University

Q: What is the University’s tax ID number?
The University of Michigan-Dearborn tax ID number is 38-6006309.

Q: Can I make a pledge over several years?
Absolutely! We'd love to talk with you about this; contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at (313) 593-5130 or

Q: If I can only afford a small gift, is it worth it to the University?
Every gift is important, no matter the size. Annual gifts can be as small as a few dollars or as large as $100,000 or more. Together, these supporters make a tremendous difference in the lives of our students. We value every gift, large and small.

Q: What are matching gifts?
Some corporations or companies will match an employee's gift to the University on a one-to-one, a two-to-one or even a three-to-one basis. These programs enable a corporation or company to support the institutions in which their employees are most interested. Your human resources or employee relations office can tell you if your employer has a matching gift program in place and provide you with any necessary forms.

Q: How often can I expect to be asked for a gift during the fiscal year?
Solicitation begins in the fall of each year. During this period you might be asked several times to support the University. Once your gift is received, you won't be approached again for the rest of the fiscal year. If you make a pledge, though, you will receive reminder notices until the pledge is fulfilled.

Q: What are the different ways I might be asked to give?
Alumni are solicited in a variety of ways: letters, brochures and postcards through the mail, e-mail, phone calls and personal visits. Throughout the year, you might be contacted by a member of the staff, a member of the faculty, or a student caller.

Q: Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at for questions regarding the Annual Fund or view the list of Institutional Advancement staff to find the name, extension and e-mail address of a particular person.