Small Company Internship Award (SCIA)
The Michigan Corporate Relations Network (MCRN) is a statewide university network designed to create partnerships that will connect state industry to critical university talent in ways that will help the Michigan economy grow and prosper. Six public universities in Michigan make sup the network. They are Michigan State University, Michigan Technological University, Wayne Sate University, Western Michigan University, and the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and Dearborn. One component of the MCRN is the Small Company Internship Award Program (SCIA). This program provides each school funding for 2014 to help Michigan small businesses hire students to work as interns on projects that are both beneficial to the company and academically relevant to the student.
ELIGIBILITY, AWARD, AND REPORTING GUIDELINES
- The company is a Michigan business, up to 500 employees, with significant business operations occurring in Michigan. Prioritized preference will be given to small companies that:
- Focus on innovative work in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields and can provide an internship where STEM skills are employed
- For firms that are not a STEM focused company, but can provide an internship with STEM related activities
- A company may participate with up to 2 of the network schools and employ up to 2 interns using funds from the SCIA program (please note that if there are 2 interns from 1 school, they would split 1 award).
- Each school will manage its own application and selection process to select companies to participate beginning September 2014, with all company awards final and interns hired by May 29, 2015.
- The company will conduct interviews, make the internship offer, assign a supervisor, provide orientation, training, and performance expectations and feedback for the intern. Consultation and guidance will be available from the school for development of the internship job description and promoting the internship to qualified students.
- The company agrees to a site visit/phone call before and/or during the internship period by a school MCRN representative.
- The maximum award for a company is $3,500 from each school sending them an intern.
- The intern's compensation will be funded 50% from the SCIA (but not more than the matching award) and 50% from the employer so that, for example, total student earnings of at least $7,000 would need to be reported for the company to be eligible for a matching $3,500 award.
- An hourly rate of pay of a minimum of $12 is recommended, commensurate with academic major, internship expectations, and student's qualifications.
- Upon completion of internship, company agrees to submit a report outlining the benefits, outcomes, and deliverables gained as a result of internship, as well as the destination of the student upon completion of the internship. The information will be included in the final report to the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC).