University of Michigan-Dearborn Student Food Pantry
In the summer of 2012 student leaders at UM-Dearborn determined that many students on campus did not have regular access to food. Given tough economic times, many students seemed to be skipping meals, or even days without eating healthy foods in order to make ends meet. The CIViC team immediately jumped into action, start the UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry.
The UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry was officially dedicated on January 21, 2013, the day which marked the 20th anniversary of the University's MLK Day of Service. The Food Pantry, in just the short time it's been open, has distributed nearly 3,000 pounds of food. In addition, the Food Pantry has raised over 3,500 pounds of food and toiletry items, as well as $3,000 in financial contributions since that time.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn Student Food Pantry is intended to provide temporary food assistance for enrolled UM-Dearborn students in need.
Clients must be currently enrolled UM-Dearborn students with picture ID.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
To keep our pantry stocked, we rely on the generous donations of our University community.
No amount is too small! All monies help us to replenish our shelves! The Student Food Pantry appreciates monetary donations for a number of reasons. First, it gives us the opportunity to replenish our shelves with items that we currently need based on our current supply. Secondly, through our community partners, we are able to buy food at negotiated lower prices, that are most often lower than what others can find at local discount grocery stores.
- How can donations be made?
- GIVE NOW - we are now pleased to accept gifts online
- Donations are accepted at the CIViC (1290 University Center) in cash or check. Inquiries can be made to Melissa Booth or to the CIViC (313) 583-6589 for more information about donating.
- What can a donation mean to the Student Food Pantry?
- $5 -- can allow us to purchase enough to fill a small grocery bag full of essentials like veggies, meats, and grains.
- $10 -- can allow us to purchase enough to fill two small grocery bags full of essentials.
- $25 -- can feed a couple of students for a week, helping to ease the burden of food insecurity.
- $50 -- can buy supplies for the food pantry for a week, keeping us stocked to serve our students.
- $100 -- can help secure the Student Food Pantry's future, helping us to create lasting change on campus.
Non-perishable food items
We do not take expired items. Preferred items include:
- Canned fruit
- Canned vegetables
- Protein such as tuna, chicken, or peanut butter
Preferred items include:
- Toilet paper
Preferred items include:
- Paper towels
- Laundry detergent
" If you cannot feed a hundred people, just feed one" -- Mother Teresa
The UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry is open Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
If you need access or have questions, please contact the Office for Student Engagement in 2136 UC or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org