Future International Students

Academic Records

Undergraduate Applicants 


Translations are required for all documents not originally in English. These translations must be complete, word-for-word, and in the same format as the original document. You must submit both the original document and the translation to the Office of Admissions and Orientation.

High School Records

All freshmen must submit official transcripts for all years of secondary school work completed (U.S. and abroad). If your secondary school work has been completed in a country which has national standardized examinations, you must also submit official certificates showing results of these examinations ("O" or "A" levels, Baccalaureate, Standard X and XII, etc.).

Transfer students must provide proof of secondary school completion (diploma, final transcript, leaving certificate, examination certificate, etc.), but are usually not required to provide records from all years of secondary school. However, you must provide complete records if you have attended college for less than one year of full-time study.

College and University Records (for Undergraduate Students Only)

Transfers must have official transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions and Orientation for all post-secondary institutions attended. Notarized copies may be acceptable from institutions outside the U.S. (if originals are typically difficult to obtain).

If you have attended college or university outside the U.S., there is an additional requirement. You must submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended outside the U.S. to Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for a course-by-course evaluation (www.ece.org).

Please also send a copy of these records (and translations) to the Office of Admissions and Orientation for your file, as requested above. ECE also requires that you submit records from your last year of secondary school along with your college or university records.

Graduate Applicants

In order for your graduate application to be considered complete, official transcripts from all institutions attended must be provided.  At minimum, the degree conferred must be deemed equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.  Some programs may have additional requirements.  

The academic records provided must show the course work completed and grades or test scores earned.  An official transcript: 

·         is received from the applicant in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution 

·         bears the institutional seal 

·         bears the official signature of the Registrar or Recorder of Records 

Notarized copies are NOT official. 

If the original documents were in a different language other than English, then an official translated documented copy of those papers must be provided in English as well.

Evaluations provided by a credential service, for example, Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) are not accepted.  

Each degree from an international institution is individually assessed based upon the characteristics of the national system of education, the type of institution, the accreditation/recognition, the level of study, and number of years of postsecondary study.  

The University of Michigan-Dearborn campus uses guidelines provided by the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Rackham Graduate School to do this assessment.  Please note that your grade point average will be recalculated as part of this process. 

For guidelines on the types of degrees accepted and documentation required by country/region, please visit Rackham’s Required Academic Credentials from non-US institutions page. 

Do not send documentation to Rackham.  All graduate applications to programs offered through the University of Michigan-Dearborn campus are processed here.  Please follow application instructions on where to mail these materials.  If you have questions, please refer to the relevant individual program website.