University of Michigan-Dearborn is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), one of two members of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
What does that mean for our students? A promise of continued academic excellence.
Rankings and Honors
Recognition and honors in 2014-2015 include:
- U.S. News & World Report ranked UM-Dearborn seventh among master’s-level public universities in the Midwest. The university was among the highest-rated, regional public universities in Michigan.
- 5 College of Education, Health, and Human Services programs are among the state’s best, as the Michigan Department of Education gave the Teacher Preparation Program its top rating and has awarded the Early Childhood Education Center a perfect score and 5 out of 5 stars in its Tiered Quality Rating Improvement System.
- Three College of Business programs are among the region’s best, according to U.S. News & World Report. The undergraduate business program was ranked among the top in Michigan. The part-time M.B.A. program ranks second and the online graduate program were top ranked in the state.
- G.I. Jobs magazine named the university a Military Friendly School, which honors the top 15 percent of universities that embrace American veterans as students.
- UM-Dearborn has been recognized as a veteran-friendly school at the gold level by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency, which recognizes institutions of higher learning for their commitment to supporting student veterans and their dependents on campus.
- For the 18th consecutive year, the College of Engineering and Computer Science was rated among the top undergraduate engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- UM-Dearborn has earned the Community Engagement Classification, awarded by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, for the university’s commitment to being deeply engaged with its larger community through teaching, learning, research and service that makes a difference.
- The university was recognized for its commitment to community engagement with the 2015 Engaged Campus of the Year award from the Michigan Campus Compact (MCC).
- Washington Monthly named UM-Dearborn a "Best Bang for the Buck" university.
- UM-Dearborn was included on Money Magazine’s Best Colleges list.
The university regularly undergoes a rigorous reaccreditation process. It’s an opportunity for us to think about our triumphs and challenges, see how we compare to our peers and make sound financial decisions.
Many of our programs have earned specialized accreditations through program-specific governing bodies, including:
- Chemistry (American Chemical Society)
- College of Business (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
- Electrical Engineering, Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology)
- Education (programs authorized by the State of Michigan’s Department of Education (MDE), the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) and, for the Early Childhood Education Center, by the National Association for the Education of Young Children )