The University of Michigan-Dearborn earns its accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), the regional accrediting organization approved by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) for degree-granting institutions in the state of Michigan.
What does that mean for our students? A promise of continued academic excellence.
Rankings and Honors
- U.S. News & World Report ranked UM-Dearborn sixth among master’s-level public universities in the Midwest. The university was among the highest-rated, regional public universities in Michigan.
- 5 College of Education, Health, and Human Services programs are among the state’s best, as the Michigan Department of Education gave the Teacher Preparation Program its top rating and has awarded the Early Childhood Education Center a perfect score and 5 out of 5 stars in its Tiered Quality Rating Improvement System.
- College of Business ranked as one of Michigan's top undergraduate business programs by U.S. News & World Report. Three additional College of Business programs ranked second in the state by U.S. News & World Report: the online MBA program, the online graduate program/non-MBA and the part-time MBA program.
- College of Business named a "Best Business School" in Princeton Review's 296 Best Business Schools.
- Bloomberg Businessweek ranks the College of Business part-time MBA program as second in the state of Michigan and its undergraduate business program as third in the state.
- G.I. Jobs magazine named the university a Military Friendly School, which honors the top 15 percent of universities that embrace American veterans as students.
- UM-Dearborn has been recognized as a veteran-friendly school at the gold level by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency, which recognizes institutions of higher learning for their commitment to supporting student veterans and their dependents on campus.
- The College of Engineering and Computer Science was rated among the top undergraduate engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- UM-Dearborn has earned the Community Engagement Classification, awarded by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, for the university’s commitment to being deeply engaged with its larger community through teaching, learning, research and service that makes a difference.
- The university was recognized for its commitment to community engagement with the 2015 Engaged Campus of the Year award from the Michigan Campus Compact (MCC).
- Washington Monthly named UM-Dearborn a "Best Bang for the Buck" university.
- UM-Dearborn was included on Money Magazine’s Best Colleges list.
The university regularly undergoes a rigorous reaccreditation process. It’s an opportunity for us to think about our triumphs and challenges, see how we compare to our peers and make sound financial decisions.
Many of our programs have earned specialized accreditations through program-specific governing bodies, including:
- Chemistry (American Chemical Society)
- College of Business (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
- Education (programs authorized by the State of Michigan’s Department of Education (MDE), the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) and, for the Early Childhood Education Center, by the National Association for the Education of Young Children )