History

University of Michigan-Dearborn was founded in 1959 with a gift of just over 200 acres of land and $6.5 million from the Ford Motor Co.

Since registering our first class of 34 students, we’ve continued to grow—setting a new enrollment record in 2012—and refine our vision for southeast Michigan.

1959

UM-Dearborn Center opened to students, with its first regular term starting on September 28.

Junior, senior and first-year graduate students enrolled in three degree programs: Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Business Administration.

1960s

Throughout the 60s, we expanded our engineering and business offerings, introduced new programs in liberal arts and sciences and teacher education, and strengthened our emphasis on experiential learning through co-ops.

In October 1962, 20 students received their degrees at our first graduation ceremony.

Four-year degree options were approved in 1969 and implemented in 1971, when our name changed to University of Michigan-Dearborn.

1970s

The new decade ushered in an era of exponential population growth; we grew from 1,000 students in 1971 to 6,000 in 1979.

We opened our Child Care Center (which later became the Early Childhood Education Center) in 1971 and, in 1973, announced plans for opening the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters and Schools of Management, Education and Engineering.

In 1971, our name changed to University of Michigan-Dearborn.

1980s

In the 80s, we pioneered several education programs and improved sustainability efforts on campus. With the creation of a five-year strategic plan, we focused on continued growth and engagement with surrounding communities.

In 1981, the Holocaust Survivor Oral History Project began.

1985 was a momentous year, marked by a $2.15 million gift from the Annenberg Foundation and Corporation for Public Broadcasting, our largest foundation grant yet. The University of Michigan also announced plans to link all three campuses and create the largest telecommunication network in higher education.

1990s

The early 90s marked UM-Dearborn’s “Years of Redirection,” in which we created a new campus mission statement affirming our commitment to academic excellence for students in metropolitan Detroit.

In 1990, we celebrated the accreditation of our Child Development Center by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs, making it one of just 34 programs nationwide to hold such distinction.

Our newly created Faculty Senate first met in 1993, the same year we received a $50K grant to help fund minority scholars transfer to UM-Dearborn.

By the time of our 30th anniversary in 1994, we reached 19,000 alumni.

2000s and Onward

The new millenium saw the university’s renewed commitment to doctoral programming and focus on inclusion and diversity. As we look ahead to the decades before us, we are as committed as ever to strengthening our reputation as a globally recognized university making a metropolitan impact.

In 2003, we purchased the Fairlane Center on Hubbard Drive from Ford Motor Co. to house our School of Education and School of Management. Classes began at our new location Winter 2004.

We offered our first doctoral program in 2008, with our first Ph.D. conferred in 2012.

UM-Dearborn celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2009.

The Corporation for National and Community Service named UM-Dearborn to the 2009 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. It is the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for commitment to volunteering.

In 2013, we announced the evolution of the School of Education into the College of Education, Health, and Human Services. A private developer also opened the doors to a brand new, state-of-the-art student housing apartment complex, the Union at Dearborn, just across Evergreen Road from campus.