Students and Alumni - Career Guides
Career Resources - Job Fair Tip Sheet
Use this tip sheet to make your job fair experience successful.
- Analyze your interests, skills, and work values to determine your career focus before attending the fair.
- Read the employer list and target those you find interesting.
- Organize your materials, including resumes, pens, paper, portfolio.
- Dress for Success. You should dress in professional attire. First impressions are important.
- Prepare your well-organized & error free resume and make good number of copies.
- Sell yourself to employers by telling them about your qualifications, related interests, skills, etc.
- Think Positive. Always highlight your strengths and skills. Donít apologize for your major, GPA, or lack of experience.
- Talk with as many employer representatives as possible, showing them your resume and using your one-minute commercial.
- Look, Listen, & Learn. Use good speaking techniques, including eye contact, listening skills and plan what you will say.
- Ask appropriate questions of representatives. Such as:
- Do you hire people in the field of ?
- What is your position with the organization?
- What are some of the typical responsibilities for entry-level employees?
- Are there training programs and, if so, what do they include?
- Collect business cards from employers that interest you for easier follow-up.
- Be courteous and polite, but also take the initiative to be assertive.
- Use body language to convey confidence and interest.
- Type thank you letters to employers that are of interest to you.
- Get addresses from business cards you collected or employer list
Questions? Call Career Services @ 313-593-5020