Times To See an Academic Advisor
- Every fall semester, some majors require faculty academic advising prior to registration. Watch your UM-Dearborn email for registration hold information and how to be released from hold to register.
- Freshman year to draw up a plan with a CASL professional advisor, to make sure you have a timeline for graduation.
- If you are "deciding" your major, meet each semester with a professional CASL Advisor. *See "deciding" student
- If you are "pre-health", meet with Dr. Deb
- At least once a year, check in with a CASL professional advisor to update your graduation plan.
- At 85 hours, meet with a CASL professional advisor to review your audit for graduation.
30 minute appointments are available daily. Call (313) 593-5293 or stop by 1039 CB to schedule. During peak advising and registration times, and the beginning of each semester, the advising office moves to walk-in advising hours. When offered, these advising sessions are available to students on a first-come, first-served basis. Quick question may be emailed to email@example.com .
Additionally, CASL Faculty Major Advisors are available. Click here for faculty list.
Learning Outcomes of Academic Advising
1. Decide (with a CASL Professional Advisor):
a. General Education Course options
b. On a balanced schedule that will work for you
c. Possible major pre-requisites
d. Discuss use of Upper Level hours (second major, minors)
e. Discuss use of electives (co-op, internships, study abroad)
1. Meet with a faculty advisor if required in your major each fall semester
2. Meet with Dr. Deb if you have a pre-health interest
e. Hours completed toward degree (determines registration date)
a. Create and keep a weekly study plan (14 credit hours x 2 = 28 study hours/week)
b. Build a network of peers, instructors, and advisors. Join a student organization and attend on-campus events.
c. Write out a timeline for graduation