Policies and Procedures

Summary of Most Commonly Used Policies

More detailed information about the following policies, as well as information on policies not listed here, can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog and through the links on the left.

Credit Hours

Graduation requires a minimum of 120 credits, with at least 48 of those 120 at the upper level (300-400 level). Thus, graduation in four years requires 30 credits per year, split between Fall/Winter or Fall/Winter/Summer. As of Fall 2013, transfer credit hours are not capped on the Transfer Equivalency Worksheet (TEW) or in the UM-Dearborn advanced standing. It is capped in the Degree Works audit according to the following maximum transfer credit hours:

Maximum Transfer Credit Hours:

  • 62 from community college
  • 75 from four-year colleges
  • 75 from combined community colleges and four-year colleges
  • 90 from UM-Ann Arbor and/or UM-Flint

The following courses transfer with a 300+ course number from community colleges but do not count as upper level credit to degree: LIBR 465, LIBR 470, MATH 385, 386, 387, EDC 300, EDC 301, EDC 460, EDF 450, LE 452.

Class Standing: (determines registration dates)

  • Freshman: 0-24 credits
  • Sophomore: 25-54 credits
  • Junior: 55-84 credits
  • Senior: 85 credits and above

Declaring a Major

Once a student has completed 60 credit hours towards a CASL degree, s/he must declare a major, or in the case of the Bachelor of General Studies and AB/BS in Liberal Studies, three areas of focus. Students in International Studies must declare their language and professional components. Students who miss this deadline will be placed on a temporary registration hold, which is easily rectified by completing a Change of Major/Minor form at the front desk of CASL Advising, 1039 CB.

Recognition of a Minor or Certificate

Students in most majors in CASL may apply for recognition of a minor and/or certificate program. Complete a Declaration of Certificate form to declare or delete a minor or certificate. See CASL Degree Requirements for the list of all available minors/certificates and their required courses.

Double Majors

A student may pursue two majors within a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in CASL.

Dual Degree

A student may pursue two degrees. A minimum of 150 credits is required for two degrees. This could be an AB and BS in CASL or an AB in CASL and a BBA from the College of Business, for example. The student must be admitted to both degree programs, and if two colleges are involved, the student will be advised by both units. A BS requires a minimum of 60 credits of math and science coursework with 20 credits at the upper level.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Each semester that a student elects and receives a grade for one or more courses, his/her GPA is updated. The GPA is determined by dividing the total quality points earned by the number of credit hours elected. Both term and cumulative GPA are determined this way. 

A,B,C, No Credit Courses

COMP 105 and 106 are graded A,B,C, No Credit (NC). Any student who completes but receives lower than a C- will be awarded an NC and will have to repeat the course. The NC is not factored in the student's GPA.

Grade Changes

The grade that an instructor records on the final grade sheet and that appears on the student's subsequent transcript is assumed to be final. Recognizing mistakes can be made, a student may ask an instructor for a review of a grade within the four-month period after the end of the term involved.

Incomplete Grade

A contract is required between instructor and student. The student has the next semester (4 months) to complete the work, unless an earlier deadline is set by the instructor. If the work is not completed in the next semester, the grade is converted to an IE. If no contract is written, an IE appears on the transcript. The student should pick up a contract immediately from 1039 CB, CASL Advising, complete it with the instructor, and return it to CASL Advising. The I remains on the transcript permanently.

X Grade

Absent from the final exam. The student has 5 weeks to complete the missing final work. If the work is not completed, the grade is converted to an XE. The X remains on the transcript permanently.

Y Grade

Used only for certain approved courses (internships/co-ops/research), allowing a course to extend beyond the end of one term. A Y grade will convert to an E grade at graduation if the work is not complete.

Academic Probation

If a student's cumulative GPA falls below 2.00, s/he is placed on academic probation. Registration privileges can be restricted when the student is placed on academic probation, and checking in with an advisor is required. Failure to improve the cumulative GPA can result in Required Withdrawal (RW). If Required to Withdraw, a student sits out one full year. While out of school, a student should consider the value of their education and the steps needed to assure success if the RW is approved to be reversed after one year. A website exercise is available to file with an RW reversal petition request after one year. The committee weighs heavily the written, mature perspective of a student requesting readmission, and prefers to see demonstrated grade improvement from a community college. Consult a CASL advisor on possible coursework to take at a community college.

Pass/Fail Courses

CASL students may elect 4 courses pass/fail, including distribution and elective coursework. Students may not take courses for majors, cognates, minors, certificated, or areas of focus on a pass/fail basis. A P is awarded for a grade of C- or better. A D+, D, D-, or E grade earns an F grade, and the credits will not be used towards degree. A grade of UE is not converted to an F and counts as an E in the GPA. The grade mode for a course may not be changed after the Add registration deadline for the term. Once a course is taken P/F, it cannot be repeated for a grade. Veterans cannot take courses P/F and receive their tuition reimbursement.

Electing More Than 18 Credit Hours

Students need written permission from CASL Advising to elect more than 18 credit hours.  Students whose GPA is below 3.00 are not allowed to elect more than the normal maximum.  Request to Exceed More Than 18 Hours

Repeated Courses

Grades earned in all attempts of a course appear on the transcript; however, only the most recently earned grade will be reflected in the cumulative GPA as of Fall 2005.  A student may repeat a class a maximum of two times.  (Note:  Prior to Fall 2005, grades earned in all attempts of a course appeared on the transcript and were reflected in the cumulative GPA.)

Senior Audit

A senior audit will be offered in the semester in which 75-90 credit hours are completed.  Notification offering the senior audit is sent to the student via his/her UM-Dearborn e-mail address, and the student must confirm that they desire the audit to be done. Once the audit is complete, a second email is sent notifying the student it is ready for pick-up at a scheduled appointment. 

Senior Residency Requirement

Normally a student must complete his/her last 36 semester hours at UM-Dearborn.  Under certain circumstances, if approved by petition, a senior may elect the last 30 credit hours of coursework at another UM campus or six of the last 36 credit hours at an institution other than the University of Michigan.  


If a student desires an exception to academic policies or curriculum requirements, a written petition must be filed in CASL Advising, 1039 CB.  Documentation is very important for a positive outcome, and it is the student’s responsibility to gather all necessary information to file with the petition.  If the request is for a course to be evaluated, a course description and syllabus is required.  If it is an exception to policy, extenuating circumstances require medical or work documentation.  Review the Petition Form and directions for filing a petition here.

Courses Off-Campus

Once admitted and registered at UM-Dearborn, a student may apply to be a guest at another institution.  The guest application is available at Enrollment Services, 1169 UC, or online at http://umdearborn.edu/rr_guest/ . Keep in mind there is a senior residency policy and the maximum transfer credit hours policy applies.

It is recommended that students meet with an academic advisor before registering as a guest.  A “C” grade or above and an official transcript is required for credit to be posted to the UM-Dearborn transcript.


Students who have not enrolled for more than one calendar year must apply for readmission through CASL Advising, 1039 CB.  Readmitted students must complete the degree requirements in effect at the time of their readmission.  Readmission Form

Student Responsibilities

As a citizen of an academic community, you are not allowed to cheat on an exam, plagiarize, forge documents, or fail to acknowledge enrollment at other institutions.  These are serious offences and sanctions for violations are listed at Guidelines for Sanctioning Violators of the CASL Code of Academic Conduct 

Auditing a Course

Auditing a course allows a student to refresh skills or review material without the worry of a grade.  Students must receive written permission to audit a course from the instructor, who will also decide the level of participation required.  No credit is given toward degree.  Upon completion of the course, a VI (for visitor) will appear on the student's transcript in place of a grade.  You will be charged the same tuition rate for audited courses as for courses taken for grades.

Crosslisted Courses

The same course may be taught under two, three or four different disciplines but it is the same class and may only be counted once toward degree credit.  For example:  AAAS 239, Intro to Lit: African American is crosslisted with English 239.  Students may elect the course under either discipline, but it is the same course.  If you were majoring or minoring in African American Studies, you would take it under AAAS 239.  If you were taking it to meet the “Letters” distribution requirement, you may elect either way.  Another example is Psych 320/Soc 382, Social Psychology.  You would take it under Psych if you were a psych major and under Soc if you were a Soc major.

Equivalent Courses

Some classes have different course number but, in credit hours toward degree, they have been determined to be equivalent, and may only be counted once in degree credit.  For example: Math 104, Pre-Calc: Mgt, Life and Soc Sci (w/o Trig) is equivalent to Math 105, Pre-Calc (with Trig).  A student must elect one or the other.  A business major or minor allows Math 104, a science major generally takes Math 105.

Academic Calendars

http://umdearborn.edu/rr_academic-calendar  It is important to note each semester in your personal calendar the final add/drop day to register, the selective drop date, and the final day to totally withdraw from all your classes.  The link above gives you each semester’s deadlines.  There is generally no exception to these established dates, except by petition with extenuating documented personal circumstances that show your inability to get to campus by the required date.

Additive Credit

Do not count in hours toward degree or gpa. Math 080, 090, COMP 099, and CHEM 090 are graded A, B, C, NC (no credit). Any student who completes but receives lower than a C-  will be awarded an NC and will have to repeat the course. The NC is not factored in the student's gpa.