Q. How do I apply to one of the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters graduate programs?
A. To apply online click here.
     To submit a hardcopy application, click here.

Q. Where should hardcopy materials be submitted to?
A. University of Michigan-Dearborn
     4901 Evergreen Road, 1055 AB
     Dearborn, MI

Q. How much is the application fee?
A. The non-refundable application fee for all graduate applicants is $60 for domestic applicants and international applicants. It is payable in U.S. funds and must be paid by check or money order payable to the University of Michigan-Dearborn if the applicant submits a hardcopy application. The application fee for the online application requires a VISA or Mastercard for payment.

Q. When can I begin the graduate programs?
A. With the exception of the MS in Psychology program, students may begin the programs in fall, winter, or summer. The MS in Psychology students may begin in fall only.

Q. What are the deadlines to apply?
A. With the exception of the MS in Psychology program, application deadlines are August 1 for fall, December 1 for winter, and April 1 for summer. The application deadline for the MS in Psychology program is March 15.

Q. Do I have to submit all application materials at once?
A. No. Supporting materials such as GRE scores, transcripts, and letters of recommendation can be sent at any time before or after submitting your application with application fee. However, an admission decision will not be made until all materials are received. 

Q. Is a transcript required from every college or university I attended?
A. Yes, we require transcripts documenting your bachelorís degree and any advanced degrees, as well as any additional coursework you may have taken. Unofficial copies may suffice for the admission decision, be we will require official copies as a condition of your admission.

Q. What is considered full time for graduate students?
A. 8 credit hours is considered full time for graduate students.

Q. Are there any standardized tests required to apply to the graduate programs?
A. The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (general test) is required to apply to the Master of Science in Psychology program and the Master of Public Policy program. More information on the GRE can be found through their website at www.ets.org/gre With director approval, the GRE may be waived for students who already have a masterís degree.

Q. I havenít graduated with my bachelorís degree yet. Do I have to wait until my degree is posted to apply to graduate school?
A.  No. You do not have to wait until you have earned your bachelorís degree to apply. Simply have your institution submit a transcript with the most current information to support your application. Once your degree is posted, you must have an official final transcript with your bachelorís degree posted sent to the Office of Graduate Studies.
Q. I have original international transcripts that I would like to keep for my own records. Is there a way to submit copies of these transcripts to the Graduate Studies Office Office without having to leave the originals?
A. Yes. Take your original documents to the Office of Graduate Studies office in 1055 AB and request that they copy the original documents, stamping them as true copies.

Q. I have had my transcripts evaluated by WES, ECE, or another credentials evaluation service. Should this evaluation be submitted with my official transcripts?
A. The Office of Graduate Studies has trained professionals to evaluate international transcripts, therefore the services provided by these companies are not required.

Q. My transcripts are written in a language other than English. What should I do?
A. You must submit transcripts in both your native language and the English language to UM-Dearborn. Most international institutions provide copies of your transcripts in English as well as your native language, however in some cases you must request this service, and/or possibly pay a fee.

Q. Can I transfer credits into the program?
A. With director approval, up to 6 graduate credits (B or better) from another accredited institution that have not been previously counted toward another degree may be transferred into a program after you have acquired 8 credits within that program. With director approval, students may transfer up to half the credit hours from another UM institution.
Q. Are admitted students allowed to defer starting their program?
A. Yes. Once admitted, you may defer your enrollment for up to one calendar year, however you must alert the CASL Office of Graduate Programs of your change in plans so that your term of entry is adjusted. You may contact the CASL Office of Graduate Programs at 313-593-1183 or send an email to: caslgrad@umd.umich.edu.

Q. What is the CUGS program?
A. Concurrent Undergraduate/Graduate Study. UM-Dearborn students in their junior/senior year of their undergraduate work whose accomplishments are exceptional (3.7 UG GPA or higher) may apply for admission to the CUGS program. This program provides students with the opportunity to work toward a graduate degree while fulfilling the remainder of the requirements for a bachelor's degree. Note: not all graduate programs offer this program. 

Q. Are any of CASLís graduate programs offered exclusively online?
A. No. However some programs offer a few online courses.

Q. Where can I find a current online schedule of classes and a course catalog?
A. https://web-sis.umd.umich.edu/PROD/twbkwbis.P_GenMenu?name=homepage

Q. Where can I find information on Michigan residency?
A. UM-Ann Arbor -- Office of the Registrar -- Residency

Q. Where can I find information on international admissions?
A. Office of International Affairs

Q. Where can I find information on tuition and fees?
A. Office of Registration & Records -- Tuition & Fees

Q. Where can I apply for graduation?
A. Office of Registration & Records -- Applying to Graduate

Q. Where can I find an academic calendar?
A. Office of Registration & Records -- Academic Calendar

Q. Where can I find forms such as: Add/Drop Address/Name Change, and Withdrawal forms?
A. Office of Registration & Records -- Forms

Q. Where can I find information on financial aid and scholarships?
A. Office of Financial Aid

Q. Where can I find UM-Dearbornís policies and procedures?
A. Office of Graduate Studies

Q. Where can I find the Rackham Graduate Schoolís policies and procedures?
A. Rackham Graduate School -- Policies and Procedures

Q. How can I contact the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters Office of Graduate Programs?
A. Contact the CASL Office of Graduate Programs by email at caslgrad@umd.umich.edu or telephone 313-593-1183.