Community Service Personnel Scholarship
The University of Michigan-Dearborn provides a scholarship valued at 20% of tuition and fees for public safety employees at partnering organizations. The scholarship is available for degree-seeking students and can be used for undergraduate and graduate programs.
Current Participating Public Safety Organizations:
Allen Park Police Department
Dearborn Police Department
Dearborn Heights Police Department
Detroit Police Department
Detroit Fire Department
Huron Township Police Department
Macomb County Sheriff's Department
Lathrup Village Police Department
Oakland County Circuit Court
Novi Police Department
Southfield Police Department
Southfield Fire Department
Wayne County Sheriff's Department
Woodhaven Police Department
Third Judicial Circuit Court
Taylor Police Department
Oakland County Sheriff's Department
Monroe Sheriff's Office
Overview of the Process
- The employee applies for admission, and if criteria are met, is admitted.
- The employee, civilian or sworn, must follow the normal process and requirements of the respective public safety tuition support program.
- The employee, civilian or sworn, requests an employment verification letter from their Human Resources Department.
- The Human Resources Department must fax the letter to UM-Dearborn's Financial Aid Office (Fax to 313-593-5313 to the attention of Sabrina Guyton).
- Upon receipt, the Office of Financial Aid will award the Community Service Personnel Scholarship by posting it to the studentís account. The student is responsible for paying tuition by the stated deadline for that semester. The student should pay the full tuition amount minus 20%.
When the Community Service Personnel Scholarship is initially posted to the studentís award, an estimated dollar amount will be listed. Typically, 10 days before the start of a semester, 20% of the tuition and fees will be automatically calculated and posted to the student's account. This value of the scholarship is based on 20% of tuition and fees for all courses enrolled. The amount of the scholarship is subject to change based on any changes in class schedule or employment.
Deb Peffer in Admissions & Orientation at email@example.com
Susan Cushnier in College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sabrina Guyton in Financial Aid at email@example.com