Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan
Aetna Student Health Policy #711146 for 2014 - 15
This summary provides highlights of the plan. Details are available online or in a brochure. See Further information, brochures and applications
- Why buy this health insurance plan?
- Use one of these Preferred Providers
- How to find another Preferred Provider
- Coverage periods, costs and payment
- Payment option for the Annual coverage period
- How to enroll or make payments
- Plan benefits
- Exclusions (what this plan does not cover)
- Student Health Insurance Committee
- Further information, brochures and applications
Why buy this health insurance plan?
Students should have health insurance to help cover products and services not covered by the health service fee. Health insurance is not required to receive care at UHS. Many UHS services are covered by the health service fee (part of tuition) when a student is enrolled for classes for the current semester on the Ann Arbor campus. See Who Can Use UHS? for information about eligibility to use UHS and coverage through the health service fee.
Students should have health insurance to help cover costs for:
- Medical care received outside of UHS (for example, emergency room visits, hospitalizations or ambulance service)
- Services not covered by students’ health service fee (including medication, immunizations, orthopedic equipment, eye care and eye wear)
- Medical services for dependents, spouses and domestic partners
Without insurance, fees for these services are the patient's responsibility.
Health care costs are at an all-time high, and unexpected medical expenses can set students back financially. The Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan was developed with student needs and budgets in mind. For example:
- Most health plans have age restrictions (e.g. 18 or 21 years old) that limit coverage for dependents, but this plan covers you as long as you are a student (or a student's dependent). Age is not a factor in determining eligibility for students.
- If you are away from home or campus, this plan provides coverage including travel health assistance.
- This plan provides prescription drug coverage.
- Coverage periods are consistent with academic semesters.
- This plan is endorsed by the Michigan Student Assembly.
This plan is available (subject to verification) to:
- UM students enrolled in classes or between semesters (e.g. during spring/summer session) at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn or Flint campuses, including:
- Graduate and doctoral students who are completing graduation requirements (writing thesis, preparing dissertation, studying for prelims, studying abroad on detatched study, pre-doctoral candidates, etc.)
- International students, students with dual citizenship and visiting scholars who are not eligible for international insurance
- Green card holders who meet the above qualifications
- Eligible spouses, unmarried domestic partners of any gender and children of all the groups listed above
- A UM student enrolled in the Plan who receives an approved medical leave of absence (coverage for medical leave will not extend past the current year enrolled)
- Age is not a factor in determining eligibility for students, spouses or domestic partners with this plan.
Use one of these providers
Use one of these Preferred Providers
- To reduce your out-of-pocket expenses.
- In the Dearborn area: Henry Ford Medical Center-Fairlane or Oakwood Hospital
Please consult the insurance brochure for additional information about network providers
How to find another Preferred Provider?
Go to the Aetna website , search by zip code, then select Open Choice ® PPO under Aetna Standard Plans.
How to enroll or make payments
Enroll anytime via paper applications (see Further information, brochures and applications ) or enroll online. Note: eligibility for enrollment is subject to verification.
To enroll online:
- Go to the Aetna Student Health website
- Click on "Student Connection" on bottom of page
- Click on "Find Your School"
- Search for the University of Michigan
- On the UM web page, click on "Medical Plan & Rates" then "Enroll"
- You will receive enrollment confirmation via email. Processing pharmacy benefits may take 5 business days following Aetna Student Health's receipt of a complete enrollment form and appropriate premium payment.
This plan does not cover the following.
- Pre-existing conditions for 180 days (6 months) unless members have been continously insured (see Definitions for Pre-existing Conditions)
- Dental services are not covered. For other options:
- Preventive care (that is, "physicals") is not covered. (For women, pap smears and gonorrhea and chlamydia screening plus associated visit charges are covered. For men, gonorrhea and chlamydia screening are covered but associated visit charges are not covered.)
Co-insurance: The amount paid by the Covered Person and the amount paid by insurance for services. Usually, this amount is a percentage split, e.g. 80% paid by insurance and 20% paid by the Covered Person.
Copay: The amount that must be paid by the Covered Person at the time services are rendered by a provider. Copay amounts are the financial responsibility of the Covered Person.
Continously Insured: Persons who have remained continously insured under the Policy or other prior health insurance policies will be covered for any Pre-Existing Condition that first manifests itself while continously insured, except for expenses payable under prior policies in the absence of the Policy. Previously Covered Persons must re-enroll for coverage. including dependent coverage, by September 24, in order to avoid a break in coverage for conditions that existed in the prior Policy Year. Once a break in continous coverage occurs, the definition of Pre-Existing Conditions will apply.
Covered Person: A student, or dependent, whose coverage is in effect under the Policy.
Deductible: The amount which is the Covered Person's financial responsibility at the first time services are rendered. Usually, this is a fixed amount per person, per Policy Year (August 24 - August 23).
Negotiated Charge (fee): The maximum charge a Preferred Care Provider has agreed to accept for any service or supply for the purpose of the benefits under the Plan.
Non-Preferred Provider: A health care provider that has not contracted to furnish services or supplies at a Negotiated Charge.
Pre-existing Condition: Any Injury, Sickness or condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received by the Covered Person within the six months (180 days) immediately preceding the effective date of their coverage, or up to six months (180 days) after the effective date of coverage. If a Covered Person has continuous coverage under the Policy or other prior health insurance policies for 180 days prior to purchase, an Accident or Sickness that first manifests itself during the prior year’s coverage shall not be considered a Pre-Existing Condition.
Preferred Provider: A health care provider that has contracted to furnish services or supplies for a Negotiated Charge, but only if the provider is included in the directory as a Preferred Care Provider for the services or supply involved, and the class of which the Covered Person is a member.
Reasonable Charge (fee): The average fee charged by a particular Provider, or paid by the insurance, within a geographic area.
Student Health Insurance Committee
The Student Health Insurance Committee negotiates this insurance plan for students and addresses domestic student health insurance issues. See Student Health Insurance Committee for more information.
Further information, brochures and applications
Further information, brochures and applications:
- Aetna Student Health , policy #711146, 800-242-3721 (application available online)
- UHS Managed Care Office, 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Counseling & Disability Services office, 2157 UC or phone 313-593-5430 or email email@example.com (brochures with applications only)
- For international student insurance, see International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan, http://www.umd.umich.edu/css_health_int_req_enroll/