5 Easy Steps to Financial Aid
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships encourages students to complete their FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov by our March 1st priority deadline. Remember, our office cannot make a financial aid award until you are an admitted student.
1. Request or confirm Personal Identification Number (PIN)
If you have not already done so, you (and your parent if you are a dependent student) must apply for a PIN number from the U.S. Department of Education at www.pin.ed.gov. The PIN is used to electronically sign your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and also serves as an identifier to provide access to your personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems.
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on www.fafsa.gov
We recommend that you print out your application and your Confirmation Page for your records. Send your FAFSA information to UM-Dearborn by using our school code number: 002326 in the school section.
While the FAFSA online is better than ever, it never hurts to review the process. Make some time to review the 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA for 2015-2016 before starting the FAFSA online. You'll be better prepared, know what to expect and you'll be glad that you did.
3. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
Your Student Aid Report is the U.S. Department of Educationís response to your FAFSA. Review the information for accuracy and make changes if necessary. If there are errors on your SAR, correct them as soon as possible. Retain this document for your personal records. The Office of Financial Aid will receive a copy of your application electronically.
- If you provided an email address on your FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail that contains a secure link to your SAR information. Click on the URL in the message and follow the instructions to see all of your application results.
- If you did not provide an e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report in the mail.
4. If requested, provide additional information
The Office of Financial Aid will automatically notify you of any supporting documentation which you must submit.
5. Review and respond to your Financial Aid Offer
The Office of Financial Aid accepts all grants on your behalf of students, but requires your decision on loans and work study awards. You may accept your financial aid offers on UM-Dearborn Connect. Accepted amounts will be divided equally between the Fall and Winter Terms.
If you are receiving private scholarships, benefits from your employer in the form of tuition plans, and/or other sources of funding, your award may need to be revised. A revised financial aid award will be sent to notify you of any changes to your original award.