Receiving Financial Aid
Once a student applicant has accepted the aid offer and completed any additional requirements the funds that have been awarded are eligible to be disbursed (applied to the studentís tuition account). Funds are disbursed electronically to a studentís tuition account beginning no earlier than 10 days prior to the start of classes each term. Disbursements continue on at least a weekly basis throughout the term.
Whenever any aid is disbursed to or reversed from a studentís account, an email notification of disbursement is sent to the UM-Dearborn email address.
If the amount of financial aid received for a term exceeds the cost of tuition and fees, a direct deposit refund will be made to the student's identified financial institution and account. While refund checks can be issued, students are encouraged to enroll in the direct deposit program because of the speed and safety of the transaction.
Refunds are processed by the Cashiers/Student Accounts Office. Direct Deposit refunds are processed faster than paper check refunds. To enroll in Direct Deposit, visit the Student Accounts website, login with your UMID and PIN, and follow the instructions to enroll in Direct Deposit.
Gift aid is initially awarded on a full-time basis. Students who enroll for less than full-time will have the grant funds prorated as follows:
- Students enrolled 3/4time (9-11 credits) will receive 75% of the original term offer.
- Students enrolled half-time (6-8 credits) will receive 50% of the original term offer.
- Students enrolled less than half-time (1-5 credits) are ineligible for most grants and scholarships.
- There are exceptions for less than half-time enrollment for TEACH Grants and some Pell Grant recipients.
Your disbursement of funds may be delayed:
- If you are not registered full-time (wait-listed classes not included) and have not notified the Office of Financial Aid in writing (use: umd-ask-ofa@.umich.edu) based on your finalized enrollment, your disbursement will be delayed
- If you have not accepted your student loans online at UM-Dearborn Connect
- If all requested documents or follow-up materials have not been received and/or processed by the Office of Financial Aid (including appeals based on special circumstances)
- If you have not completed your Direct Loan Master Promissory Notes online
- If you have not completed the Entrance Counseling requirements
- If your private scholarship was received late or had donor restrictions
- If you are auditing a class (not eligible for financial aid) or enrolled for an additive credit course that does not qualify for financial aid. A revision to your award may be required once your enrollment in eligible courses has been determined
- If your status has changed from a Degree Candidate to a Non-Candidate for Degree Student, you may be ineligible for financial aid
Financial aid applicants whose aid is pending are not required to make a tuition payment until the aid eligibility has been determined. Once accepted financial aid has been disbursed, late fees may be reversed.
The Cashiers/Student Accounts Office will send notices of outstanding student account balances to your UM-Dearborn email address with a link to the student account.
If after financial aid eligibility is determined and a student declines his/her award or is ineligible for any aid, the student is responsible for all of the tuition assessed or late fees. Students whose accepted aid does not cover all of their tuition obligations are responsible for the amount of tuition not covered through the financial aid. Students can view their balances in UM-Dearborn Connect.