Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

International Students Resources

There are limited forms of support to international students at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

Eligible Canadian citizens, or landed immigrants, or Mexican citizens may be eligible for the Non-Residential Tuition Differential Scholarship as either an incoming undergraduate freshman or a transfer student.

For Graduate International Students, the Non-Residential Graduate Tuition Scholarship provides up to 80% of the difference between resident and non-resident tuition assessment. College specific applications can be obtained at the following links:

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services does not have a Non-Resident Scholarship at this time.

Additional information can be obtained from your college advisor.


 There are a number of private scholarship websites that are geared to international students.  These websites are excellent resources and dedicated to promoting international study.


There are also private loans that are available to international students.  Typically international students are eligible only with a creditworthy cosigner, who must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Some lenders require that the student borrower have a Social Security Number.


To qualify for need-based aid from federal and university sources, students must be a U.S. citizen or national or be an eligible non-citizen.  Eligible non-citizens include student who have one of the following USCIS (United States Citizenship Immigration Services):

Permanent Residents

  • I-151, I-1551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

Other Eligible Non-Citizens

An Arrival-Departure Record (1-94) showing one of the designations to be considered eligible:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

A Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464) does not provide an eligible status for federal student aid.

Students who have a visa status of F-1 or F-2, J1 or J2 or G series are not eligible for any federal student aid.


The Office of International Affairs is a resource for all international students.  It is located at
780 Town Center Drive, Room 108, Dearborn, MI  48126.  Many services are provided and can be a great assistance to students.