Financial Aid

Non-Traditional and Off Campus Enrollment

For students pursuing pre-degree programs, special consortium agreements, study abroad or second bachelor's degree or teaching certification.


The Prospective Degree Students (PDS) is a non-degree status granted to students who wish to enroll at the University of Michigan-Dearborn but do not yet meet the requirements for admission to a degree program. These students show potential for academic success if degree admission were granted in the future.

Students are required to complete a minimum of 15 credits towards degree credit with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher before an application to a degree program can be made.

Types of Aid Available

  • Federal Direct Student Loan Program
    Loans are offered to students at below market rates (the interest rate for 2014-2015 is 4.6% ). Repayment is not required for six months after graduation, dropping to less-than-half-time (six credits is minimum half-time for undergraduates) or a total withdrawal.

Dependent students can borrow up to $5,500 for the academic year ($3,500 maximum in subsidized loans).

Independent students can borrow up to $9,500 for the academic year ($3,500 maximum in subsidized loans).

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan does not accrue interest while the student is enrolled at half-time status. No payments for interest or principal are due while a student is enrolled half-time.

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan has the same low interest as the subsidized loan but interest accrues while the student is in school. No payment for interest or principal is required while the student is in school. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships suggests that borrowers pay the quarterly interest charged by the Direct Loan Program.

There is no prepayment penalty for borrowers who want repay their loans early.

Eligibility Limitations

Prospective Degree Students are allowed to receive loans for up to 12 consecutive months dating from their first enrollment. For example, a student who first enrolls in September 2014 has until August 2015 to complete the requirements in the PDS and apply to one of the University degree programs.

If a student is not admitted to a regular UM-Dearborn degree program at the end of 12 consecutive months in the PDS Program, he or she will not be eligible for additional financial aid in the PDS Program. Once a student has been admitted to a regular UM-Dearborn degree program, he or she will regain eligibility to be considered for financial aid as a regular degree-seeking student.

Important Information to Remember

Please remember that the Office of Academic Support and Outreach Services located in the Student Success Center is a valuable resource for students in the PDS Program and that it is very important to stay in contact with them. You can contact their offices at (313) 593-5340 to ask questions, address concerns or make an appointment.

Students are also encouraged to meet with the Financial Aid Counselors in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if they have any questions or concerns.



The College of Education, Health, and Human Services offers a Pre-Master in the Arts of Teaching Program (Pre-MAT) that is designed to allow students to gain admission to the Master in the Arts Teaching Program.  Candidates accepted in the Pre-MAT Program are allowed 12 consecutive months to gain admission to the Master in the Arts of Teaching with federal student loan eligibility.  

While Pre-MAT students are classified as graduate students for the purpose of completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), they are considered fifth year undergraduates for loan eligibility and limitation. 

No gift aid assistance is available to Pre-MAT students.

If a Pre-MAT student does not enter the Master of the Arts of Teaching Program after completing 12 consecutive months of study, the student is no longer eligible for federal student aid.  Upon admission to graduate study pursuing a master degree, students will be eligible for federal student aid at graduate loan limits.




The University of Michigan-Dearborn has very few consortium agreements with other colleges (except for study abroad programs). The primary consortium agreements are with our campuses in Ann Arbor and Flint.  At the present time, there is a consortium agreement for only Criminal Justice majors at UM-Dearborn with Henry Ford College.

Students who are enrolled in good standing at either UM-Ann Arbor or UM-Flint are eligible to be considered for financial aid while enrolled at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

In addition to submitting a guest student application to the Office of Admission at the UM-Dearborn, a student from UM-Ann Arbor or UM-Flint must complete the following steps to be considered for aid:

  • Release FAFSA information to UM-D (school code 002326) by calling the Federal Student Aid Processing Center at (800) 433-3243 or adding UM-Dearborn to his/her financial aid application at FAFSA on the Web
  • Complete the student section of both the Academic Certification Form and the Financial Aid Office Certification Form and submit each form to the appropriate office at their home campus
  • If selected for verification, submit copies of tax return transcripts (or have used the Data Retrieval Transfer on the FAFSA) and a verification worksheet
  • Students enrolled for the Summer Semester should also complete a Summer Financial Aid Application
  • Students cannot be simultaneously enrolled at UM-Dearborn and their home institution and be considered for financial aid

Criminal Justice majors at the University of Michigan-Dearborn are eligible to take classes for their major approved by the College of Arts, Sciences and Letters (CASL) at Henry Ford Community College.  The University of Michigan-Dearborn is considered the Home Institution and selected community college is considered the Host Institution.  A consortium agreement is completed with the help of a financial aid counselor for each term. 

Types of Programs Available

  • Federal Pell Grant
    Applicants without a bachelorís degree whose EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is from 0-5157 (for 2014-2015 academic year) can be considered for Pell Grant while enrolled as a student at UM-Dearborn. Pell Grant awards are determined by EFC, enrollment status and amount of funds used earlier in the academic year.

  • Federal Direct Student Loan Program
    Loans are offered to students at below market rates (the interest rate for 2014-2015 is 4.66%). Repayment is not required for six months after graduation, enrolling at less than half-time (six credits is minimum half-time status for undergraduates) or withdrawing from classes.

Federal Direct Student Loan eligibility is determined by status (dependent or independent), grade level, funds borrowed during the academic year and aggregate loan maximum borrowing limitations.

  • Federal Direct Parent/PLUS Loans
    A parent who wishes to borrow on behalf of a dependent child may be eligible to borrow in the Direct Parent/PLUS Loan Program. The dependent student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits minimum). The parent must be credit worthy. In addition to the Academic and Financial Aid Office Certifications, the parent and student must also complete the Parent/PLUS Application.

  • Alternative Loans
    Students may wish to consider Alternative Loans as an option if their eligibility for other assistance is inadequate to meet their needs. Some lenders may allow credit-worthy non-degree students to borrow.


Without an eligible consortium agreement, guest students at UM-Dearborn are not eligible to be considered for Federal aid or University assistance.  Students are required to be enrolled in a regular degree program to be considered for most forms of financial aid and eligible consortium agreements (institution to institution) are an exception.

There are some possible means to help meet educational costs while enrolled as a guest student at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

  • Alternative Loans
    Students may wish to consider Alternative Loans as an option if their eligibility for other assistance is inadequate to meet their needs. Some lenders may allow credit-worthy non-degree students to borrow.


Students who are enrolled at more than one college simultaneously traditionally only receive financial aid at one institution. Most students make the decision to use their financial aid at the more expensive college or at the college that will award them the most financial aid.

After matriculation, University of Michigan-Dearborn students must seek written departmental approval to enroll at another educational institution in order to insure that classes successfully completed will be accepted as transfer credit. Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisors before pursuing enrollment at other educational institutions.

There are students who may combine multiple enrollments at different colleges and legitimately receive aid at each. Students, however, are prohibited from receiving Pell Grant during the same academic period at more than one school.

  • Alternative Loans

    Students may wish to consider Alternative Loans as an option if their eligibility for other assistance is inadequate to meet their needs. Some schools are reluctant to participate in alternative loan programs and will not certify a loan application.

  • Federal Student Loans
    While it is technically possible to borrow in either the Federal Direct Student Loan Program, it can be very difficult because loan limits for each term and academic year apply. 

There are loan limits for each academic term and students are not allowed to exceed them, which is very difficult when borrowing at two or more schools simultaneously.  Students normally cannot receive federal student loans at two schools for the same loan period.

In most instances, students who are enrolled at more than one college simultaneously pay for the extra college costs out of their pocket.


UM-Dearborn students who wish to study abroad find that it is possible to obtain Federal student aid funding to meet some of the educationally-related expenses involved in their program of study. It is strongly recommended that students begin the financial aid process at least three months before the program of study begins.

Please print the Study Abroad Guidelines and Budget Form to help you plan for your educational studies abroad and submit it with required documentation listed below.

Minimum Criteria 

Applicants must:

  • be in good standing based on the Office of Financial Aidís standards of satisfactory academic progress

  • complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the term(s) requested and submit all required forms and documents in a timely manner

  • provide documentation of their acceptance into a study abroad program

  • provide the Office of Financial Aid with a copy of their study abroad program contract signed by the academic department

  • be approved for a minimum of six (6) credit hours for their study abroad by their academic department

  • submit a brochure of their study abroad program, including costs of tuition, room and board, books and supplies and student insurance

  • submit estimated transportation for both aid and ground (third party documentation is preferred

Funds for any study abroad program are disbursed on a term-by-term basis. Many programs require substantial deposits prior to the time that the student aid funds can be disbursed. Students may need to seek alternative resources to meet these costs.  Students are encouraged to enroll in the Cashiers/Student Accounts Direct Deposit Program on the secured Web site.

While it is not required to receive financial aid, it is highly recommended that students register their travel through the Travel Registry and purchase travel insurance.  Additional information is available at

Within six (6) weeks after the completion of the study abroad program, students must submit documentation from their academic department confirming that the study abroad credits have been approved. By the end of the following term, the study abroad credit hours must be posted on their transcript.

If a student meets the all of the requirements, he/she may not qualify for financial assistance to study abroad. If a student meets all of the requirements but does not complete all of his/her obligations outlined in the above paragraph, s/he may become fully and immediately liable for all federal student aid disbursed for this program.

In addition, students may wish to consider Alternative loans to replace or supplement Federal student aid for their study abroad. Check with individual lenders to determine if they participate. Remember, you and/or your co-borrower must be creditworthy to be eligible to borrow in these programs.

Please remember that disbursements are applied only to the UM-Dearborn account.  Charges for study abroad programs may be assessed in to or separately from assessments on your UM-Dearborn student account.  If available, students may use residual financial aid proceeds ("refunds") to meet the balance of an external program assessment.  These assessments are the student's obligation and responsibility to manage.

The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students who are planning a study abroad visit the FinAid! The Smart Guide to Financial Aid first. The portion that we have linked for you is their extensive section on Domestic Exchange and Study Abroad Programs. There is information on programs and scholarships as well as many other resources.

Students may also wish to visit the Institute of International Education and the International Scholarships Online for additional information on programs, insurance and possible scholarships.


Students who have already earned their bachelorís degree are not eligible for Federal, Michigan or University need-based grants. Students in these academic programs may be considered for Federal Direct Student Loans. The undergraduate loan limits do not increase with each new degree or certificate pursued. It is recommended that students review the Loan Section to obtain detailed information about maximum loan amounts.

Students who are still considered dependent students may also be considered for Parent/PLUS Loans by requested that a parent borrow on their behalf. These loans are not subject the aggregate maximums of the Student Loan Program.

Students may also consider Alternative loans for funding their new program of study, especially if other loan programs are not available to them. Applicants for alternative loans (and/or their co-borrowers) must be credit-worthy.

Students who are enrolling in a second bachelorís degree may be eligible for the UMD Current Student Scholarship Program. The deadline is the first business day in February for funds to be used in  the next academic year.