Future Students
Future International Students

International Student Admission

International Brochure

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is committed to building a diverse learning community and welcomes applications from qualified international students and from U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have international backgrounds.

Upon admission, applicants who wish to or need to enroll as an F1 or J1 visa student must provide additional information to the Office of International Affairs, who manages the student visa process and Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  For more information about study and exchange visas including approximate appointment wait times with your nearest embassy or consulate, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Please note Canadian Citizens are not required to obtain a U.S. visa to enter the United States.  However, Canadian applicants will still need to be issued a Certification of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019).  The required financial resources that must be documented are less for border commuting students.  See the seperate Canadian Financial Affidavits in the forms section.

If you obtain your student visa on the I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and you enter the U.S., you must report to the University of Michigan-Dearborn. If you decide to transfer to another university after entry into the U.S., you need to request a SEVIS transfer at the Office of International Affairs (OIA) after you report to OIA at UM-Dearborn.  If you decide not to attend the University of Michigan-Dearborn, you must return the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) to OIA. You cannot use the UM-Dearborn I-20/DS-2019 to obtain a visa.

Select your level to learn more: