The ELPP is primarily designed for students transitioning to college, current college students, and adults who wish to impove their English language and academic skills in preparation for and in support of university study. This program can assist students who do not have an English language proficiency score, who have a proficiency score below admission requirements, or who only want to improve their language skills.
Special opportunities are available for select groups who may not fit the exact description above (for example, visiting scholars or international high school students enrolled in a summer course that teaches the English needed to fill out an application for a U.S. university).
Provisional admission to University of Michigan-Dearborn undergraduate degree programs is possible for qualified students. If a student has met the academic admission requirements but not the English proficiency requirement, the University of Michigan-Dearborn will allow students to enroll in the English Language Proficiency Program for intensive English studies while granting provisional admission status. For information about the additional steps needed to apply to an undergraduate academic program, please see https://www.umd.umich.edu/io_international-undergrad-adm/.
Students who have not been provisionally admitted to the university must complete an application to be admitted to the English Language Proficiency Program. The ELPP Coordinator and staff will review each application to make sure applicants are qualified to enroll in and benefit from the instructional program. An application can be obtained by emailig UMDelppUM@umich.edu
Provisionally admitted students needing additional English training will be referred to the ELPP from the Office of Admissiona and Orientation and do not have to fill out an ELPP application.
The application deadline is the first day of the semester for which the student is applying; it is strongly recommended, however, that students apply well in advance of the deadline. See "ELPP Overview: Calendar" for more specifics.
To be admitted to the ELPP, students who have not been provisionally admitted to an undergraduate program at the University of Michigan-Dearborn must meet the following criteria:
- Have submitted a completed ELPP Application.
- Have a need to improve proficiency in Standard American English, especially for academic purposes.
- Not have a history of harming or bringing potential harm to others.
International students must also meet the following criterion:
- Be able to study legally at the ELPP (please contat the Office of International Affairs for visa and status questions: 313-583-6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Before students can take ELPP courses other than specially designed, custom course,students need to be provisionally admitted to an undergraduate academic program at the University of Michigan-Dearborn or meet all of the following criteria:
- Have graduated from an approved and/or accredited secondary school or home school or have acquired a General Eqivalency Diploma or have submited a statement as to how you fit the population the ELPP serves as described in the "Program Overview" section on page one of the ELPP Application.
- Not have a history of academic disciplinary offensees.