Future International Students

International Student Admission

International Brochure

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is committed to building a diverse learning community and welcomes applications from qualified international students and from U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have international backgrounds.

Select your level to learn more: 

Learn more about the F1 or J1 Visa status:

Applicants who plan to enroll as an F1 or J1 visa student must provide additional information to the Office of International Affairs, who manages the student visa process and Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 

​For requesting Form I-20 or DS-2019, please mail the original ​Financial Affidavit ​Form ​to:

University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen Rd.
Office of International Affairs, Suite 108 The Union
Dearborn, MI 48128

Each individual contributing financially to the named studentís education must complete the Financial ​Affidavit ​Form​ and submit  dated, official supporting document(s). In case of jointly held accounts, each individual holder must complete an affidavit of financial resources.

Please indicate studentís name on all financial documents.

Requirements for Documentation of Funds: 

  • An official/certified dated bank letter/statement must be provided.
  • All accounts must be easily accessible and liquid assets
  • All documents must be in English. If not, an English translation must accompany the original.
  • All supporting documentation must be dated within one year.
  • Letters of sponsorship must include exact dollar amount of support (in US dollars) and dates of sponsorship
  • If funds are not in U.S. dollars, print and attach the conversion rate from www.xe.com

The following documents are NOT acceptable:

  • Statements verifying employment and salary
  • Insurance premiums and policies
  • Property or personal assets (automobiles, land, buildings, jewelry, etc.)
  • Lines of credit
  • Assets such as stocks, bonds, equities, retirement accounts
  • Income tax returns
  • Attestations stating only that a sponsor can meet the expenses without providing accompanying bank statements

For more information about study and exchange visas including approximate appointment wait times with your nearest embassy or consulate, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Please note:  Canadian Citizens are not required to obtain a U.S. visa to enter the United States.  However, Canadian applicants will still need to be issued a Certification of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019).  The required financial resources that must be documented are less for border commuting students.  See the seperate Canadian Financial Affidavits in the forms section.

If you obtain your student visa on the I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and you enter the U.S., you must report to the University of Michigan-Dearborn. If you decide to transfer to another university after entry into the U.S., you need to take the following steps: 

  • You need to travel with your current visa
  • You need to check in with the university where you receive your I-20 when you arrive in the U.S.
  • You need to complete this form:  transfer clearance for F-1 visa students
  • You need to request the university where you report to to transfer your SEVIS record to The University of Michigan-Dearborn.  The school code is DET214F00369000. 
  • You need to provide a financial affidavit form and a support document to the Office of International Affairs at the UM-Dearborn to request an I-20.  
  • After your SEVIS record is transferred to the UM-Dearborn, you need to visit the Office of International Affairs to request a new I-20