UM-Dearborn students are provided with access to a wide range of University computing resources.
As a new student, you will be assigned a University of Michigan uniqname. Your uniqname is your personal University of Michigan identifier, and is the basis for all login access. Along with your passwords, it authorizes or "authenticates" you to many University systems in Dearborn and Ann Arbor. It is also part of your email address (email@example.com).
Your uniqname is assigned a UMICH Password, which is used for gaining access to systems which require authentication through the UM-Ann Arbor servers. This includes access to email, computers in the labs and classrooms, Wolverine Access and on-line courses using Canvas. Your uniqname is also used for authentication when you wish to update your directory entry in the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor's MCommunity directory.
Students who never had a uniqname through the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Flint, or Dearborn campuses)
- Your uniqname and passwords are automatically created after you have been admitted as a student.
- Information will be mailed to your home address on record with the University shortly after admittance. In addition to your uniqname and password information, you will be provided with instructions for changing passwords, using your email account, and on University policies and guidelines. You are responsible for understanding and complying with them.
- If you have not received your account information by the start of classes, please contact the ITS Accounts Office.
Students who were previously enrolled at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Flint, or Dearborn campuses) will continue to use their existing uniqname, and will not be issued a new one.
- If your uniqname is no longer active, it will be automatically reactivated and an "identifying password" will be assigned and sent via US mail to the home address listed with the University. It is important that returning students ensure their home address has been updated with Enrollment Services.
- UMICH passwords will not be reset for reactivated uniqnames. If you do not remember your UMICH password, contact the ITS Accounts Office or the ITS Help Desk for assistance in resetting your UMICH password.
Terminating Access to Inactive Accounts
Students who graduate from UM Dearborn become alumni and therefore maintain a life-long relationship with the university. An affiliation of "alumni" is added to their MCommunity Directory profile after they graduate. Alumni will retain access to their university email.
Former students who have completed at least one term of a degree-granting are eligible for alumni status but must make a request to do so. For more information, please visit www.itcs.umich.edu/accounts/endaccount/student-alum.php