Starting Your Own Organization
Starting a New Organization
New student organization proposals are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Compliance with College policies (Use of the University of Michigan-Dearborn name and Trademark, Student Organization Policies on the Office Student Engagement Website, etc.).
- Demonstrated non-duplication of the mission of previously recognized organizations and avoids clear similarity with another already-recognized student organization.
- Clearly articulated objectives and goals of the proposed student organization as demonstrated through the constitution.
- Feasibility of funding the organization's goals, projects, or publications.
- Demonstrated plan for sustainability of the organization.
- At least seven registered student members. All officers must be registered students of University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- President may not be the president of another student organization, either USO or RSO.
- Treasurer may not be the treasurer/authorized signer for another organization, either USO or RSO.
- Demonstrated benefit to the members, campus, and/or wider community.
New student organization proposals include:
- Annual Budget and schedule of proposed events, should be in accordance with the Student Organization Advisory Council (SOAC) and University Policies.
- Membership Roster, including full-time faculty or full-time staff member of UM-Dearborn must serve as advisor.
Proposals are submitted via formstack here. Incomplete proposals will not be reviewed.
First Monday of February 2015 for review on:
- Tuesday, February 10 review from 10am-12pm in 2194 UC
- Wednesday, February 11 review from 11am-1pm in 2194 UC
- Thursday, February 12 review from 3pm-5pm
First Monday of March 2015 for review on:
- Tuesday, March 10 review from 10am-12pm in 2194 UC
- Wednesday, March 11 review from 11am-1pm in 2194 UC
- Thursday, March 12 review from 3pm-5pm
First Monday of April 2015 for review on:
- Tuesday, April 14 review from 10am-12pm in 2194 UC
- Wednesday, April 15 review from 11am-1pm in 2194 UC
- NO MEETINGS WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY, APRIL 16
First Monday of October 2015 for review on:
- Tuesday, October 13 review from 10am-12pm in 2194 UC
- Wednesday, October 14 review from 11am-1pm in 2194 UC
- Thursday, October 15 review from 3pm-5pm
First Monday of November 2015 for review on:
- Tuesday, November 10 review from 10am-12pm in 2194 UC
- Wednesday, November 11 review from 11am-1pm in 2194 UC
- Thursday, November 12 review from 3pm-5pm
Representation is required of the entire e-board for review sessions for organization inquiries and clarification (15 minute meeting) and is handled on a first come, first serve basis.
Have a question about student organization? Require contracting or event planning assistance? Need to talk to Seth Newell? Find him each week in 2194 UC, the Resource Room in the Student Organization Center every Tuesday from 10am-12pm & Thursday from 3pm-5pm.