University of Michigan Employee Scholarship
The University of Michigan-Dearborn provides a scholarship valued at 20% of tuition
and fees for U-M employees from the Ann Arbor campus and Health System. The scholarship is available for degree-seeking students and can be used for undergraduate and graduate programs.
This scholarship will work in conjunction with U-M Tuition Support Policy (http://spg.umich.edu/policy/201.69). It will reduce the tuition and fees--both the amount the student pays and the amount the U-M department pays, as per the Standard Practice Guide (SPG). However, there is no limit to the number of credit hours. UM-Dearborn must receive the Department Authorization Form from the student to process the tuition reimbursement as per the SPG. Students are also eligible to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and receive consideration for financial aid.
Employees must be appointed as a regular (not temporary) part time and/or full time staff/faculty at the University of Michigan (at a 50% and higher appointment).
Department Authorization Form link
These employees shall be allowed to enroll in any undergraduate or graduate course at UM-Dearborn for which they have the appropriate prerequisites, under the following conditions:
1. Employees are required to apply for this scholarship through UM-Dearborn’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (firstname.lastname@example.org) using the Supplemental Information Form (SIF). As needed, the Human Resources department will provide confidential staff and faculty employment verification (active status, regular appointment confirmation and effort level) to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to assist in determining an applicant’s eligibility. The deadline to submit the SIF is no later than the first day of the term.
2. Courses taken under the U-M Employee Scholarship program may be taken on a matriculated basis. The participant shall meet all degree admission and eligibility requirements of the University in effect at the time of enrollment. Guest and doctoral students are not eligible. Only students who are enrolled in degree seeking programs at the University of Michigan-Dearborn may be considered.
3. The U-M Employee Scholarship will be applied to tuition and fees only. All other educational costs are the responsibility of the student.
4. The applied U-M Employee Scholarship precedes any other institutional scholarship or grant aid awarded to the participant. Institutional scholarships of greater value or that offer greater flexibility in terms will supersede the U-M Employee Scholarship.
5. There is no limit to the number of credits which may be taken each semester under the U-M Employee Scholarship program.
6. Participants shall be subject to all applicable academic policies governing students at UM-Dearborn.
7. The U-M Employee Scholarship will be evaluated on a regular basis (minimally, every 2 years) to determine whether the scholarship shall be continued. Strong consideration for continuing the program will be based upon enrollment data that is indicative of tuition revenue and enrollment growth as a result of the scholarship.
- Eligibility begins on an employee’s first day of regular employment at U-M.
- Employees are required to apply in advance to receive the scholarship award for future semesters, not retroactively. If an employee (who has been awarded a U-M Employee Scholarship) takes one or more consecutive fall or winter semesters off, then that student must re-apply for the U-M Employee Scholarship to be granted in the future.
- If a staff or faculty member separates employment prior to the beginning of a semester, the University reserves the right to revoke or not award the U-M Employee Scholarship. If an employee separates employment after the begin date of a semester, the U-M Employee Scholarship will continue through that semester.
Process for Consideration and Continued Eligibility
- In addition to applying for admission via Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions and being accepted to the University of Michigan-Dearborn, the student must submit the Supplemental Information Form to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (email@example.com).
- The U-M Employee Scholarship will renew automatically via Human Resources confidential staff and faculty employment verification, authorized via the initial Supplemental Information Form.
- If the employing department changes or does not wish to pay for the U-M tuition support, the student is required to send an updated Supplemental Information Form.
- To maintain this scholarship, the recipient must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Overview of the Process
1. The employee applies for admission, and if criteria are met, is admitted.
2. The employee submits the Supplemental Information Form to be considered for the U-M Employee Scholarship.
3. The employee, must follow the approval process and requirements of their respective U-M department and the SPG for departmental reimbursement.
4. The employee registers for courses, fills out the Departmental Authorization Form (each term) and submits to Student Accounts (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. Typically, 10 days before the start of a semester, 20% of the tuition and fees will be automatically calculated and posted to the student's account. An estimated amount may be posted prior to this date. The value of the scholarship is based on 20% of tuition and fees for all courses enrolled. The amount of the scholarship is subject to change based on any changes in class schedule or employment.
6. Typically, 10 days before the start of a semester, Student Accounts will post the U-M department paid portion (75% of tuition). This amount is subject to change depending on enrollment. An updated Departmental Authorization Form is required, if enrollment changes at any point during the semester.
7. The employee will be required to pay their portion by the due date (http://www.umd.umich.edu/csa_due-dates/). Questions about the employee amount owed, should be directed to Cashiers/Student Accounts.
8. UM-Dearborn Student Accounts will charge the appropriate U-M department after the appropriate class grades have been verified. If the required grade (as per SPG 201.69) is not achieved, the department tuition support will be reversed (not the U-M Employee Scholarship).
Contact for additional information:
Sabrina Guyton at email@example.com.