University of Michigan-Dearborn Seal Seal and pond picture
University of Michigan-Dearborn



site map

contact us




Office of Financial Aid Discover the Michigan Advantage

Welcome to the Office of Financial Aid homepage. Here you will find information on scholarships, grants, loans, and work study. We hope that you will find this to be a helpful resource in planning for your education at the University of Michigan - Dearborn.

Financial Aid Headlines

UM-D Current Student Scholarship Application Available for Undergraduate and Graduate Students for 2007-08

Qualified undergraduate and graduate students can apply for up to five scholarships using the UM-D Current Student Scholarship Application.

  • Undergraduates must have completed a minimum of 12 credits in residence (at UM-D)
  • Graduate students must have completed a minimum of 6 credits in residence (in a UM-D graduate program)

The application is available in the Office of Financial Aid and can be printed from this website.

The deadline for submission of all required documents is February 1, 2007.

Change in Notification of Disbursements

Beginning with the first disbursements of Fall 2006, notification of disbursement and the right to cancel are now sent to students by email at their university email address. Remember to check your University email account for important information.

Special Notice to Michigan Merit Award Recipients

All award notification letters have been sent to the graduating class of 2006. Students who have certified their college choice and payment option by September 21st will appear on the payment roster scheduled for the third week of October.

To use your Michigan Merit Award for 2006-07, you must certify with the Michigan Office of Scholarships and Grants no later than November 15th.

Remember that all awards are equally divided between two academic years. Students with a $2500 award will receive $1250 in 2006-07 and $1250 in 2007-08. If you have any questions, please call the Michigan Office of Scholarships and Grants at their toll-free number 888.447-2687.

Need additional funds to meet educational expenses?

You may wish to consider either the Parent Loan (largely restricted to dependent undergraduates) and has a 7.9% interest rate. An application can be completed by parent and student and submitted directly to the OFA. If a Parent Loan is declined by the U.S. Department of Education, the student can request additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds for the academic year.

Students can also consider alternative or private loans. These loans are also credit-based. Two of the most popular loans are the MI-Loan (Creditworthy and Creditready) and CitiAssist Loan.

MI-Loan's interest rate ranges from 6.5-9% with original fees of 3-5%. You can apply online for a MI-Loan.

CitiAssist Loan is tied to the prime rate of interest (8.25% currently). The CitiAssist Program will allow students to borrow for past balances, but loan periods cannot exceed 12 months in length. You can apply for a CitiAssist Loan online.

Special Notice to New Borrowers for 2006-07

After accepting your Federal Direct Loan(s) online or using the paper Student Decision Form, please allow a minimum of 72 business hours before attempting to complete your Direct Loan Master Promissory Note online (you can also receive a paper Master Promissory Note).

If this is the first time that you have borrowed in the Direct Loan Program, you can complete your loan counseling requirement online at and even complete your Master Promissory Note online at You will need your U.S. Dept. of Education PIN to use the online process.


If you haven't applied for financial aid yet....

You can still apply for the 2006-07 academic year--even though the Office of Financial Aid recommends that all students use Valentine's Day--February 14th--as a reminder to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2006-07. Always use the directly (don't Google FAFSA) to avoid a website that charges a fee for processing. The FAFSA is always free at the government website.

If you have applied before, you should have a U.S. Department of Education PIN. If you have forgotten it, you can obtain a duplicate PIN at Duplicates are usually available in four hours. A new PIN usually takes a few days. Remember that students and their parents must have different PINs. The PIN is used as your electronic signature when transmitting the FAFSA.

You can also complete the FAFSA online and print a Signature/Certification Page, sign it (parents too--if dependent) and mail to the address on the form. Your signature (and a parent's) are required to complete the FAFSA.






Contact Information and Office Hours information

About UM–DearbornAcademic ProgramsCenters, Programs, and Attractions
Prospective StudentsAlumni and FriendsCurrent StudentsFaculty and Staff

SearchSite MapAdmissionsContact UsUM–Dearborn Directory


This page was last updated on Thursday, 10/19/2006 11:15 AM