Office of International Affairs

Travel Advisory

Travel within the United States

When traveling within the United States you are advised to carry your Form I-94, your passport and your I-20 or DS-2019 with you. Form I-94 is a little white card that is usually stapled into your passport.

For many years, a regulation has existed which states that international visitors to the U.S. (including students and scholars) must carry their "registration document" with them. This regulation was not very well known and was rarely enforced. With increased security precautions, particularly at airports, it is advisable for students and scholars to make sure that they are in compliance with this regulation. The "registration document" for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars is Form I-94.

Travel Outside the U.S. While on F1 or J1 Visa

For up-to-date information on traveling outside the U.S. and re-entry, please visit the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website: