Office of International Affairs

Eligibility for Michigan Residency

Only U.S. Citizens, U.S. permanent residents, refugees and some A, E (primary), G, and I visa holders may apply for Michigan residency for tuition purposes. In order to be classified as a resident for tuition purposes, students must have an eligible visa classification and must be able to demonstrate compliance with other criteria set forth in the University's Residency Classification Guidelines (available at

Any student who does not hold an eligible visa or who does not meet the additional criteria detailed in the Residency Classification Guidelines will be classified as an out-of-state student and will be charged the higher out-of-state tuition.

If a student has an eligible visa status and feels that he or she meets the other eligibility criteria in the University's Residency Classification Guidelines, that student may apply for Michigan resident classification by following the instructions in the Guidelines. All residency decisions are made by the Residency Classification Office on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan. Questions concerning residency status for tuition purposes at UM-Dearborn should be directed to:

Residency Classification Office
1210 LSA Building, University of Michigan
500 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382
Phone: 734-764-1400