UM-Dearborn Connect Registration and Records

Certification Policies and Procedures

Changes in Enrollment/Changes in Credit Hours

Students must report all adds, drops, or changes to their academic course load.  If you change your enrollment in any way during a term, you must complete the Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form.

Student Verification of Enrollment

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 students must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR).  Payments will not be sent until this is done. The preferred method is WAVE, which includes features not in IVR. WAVE allows students to verify their enrollment on the Internet.  The web address is Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE.  IVR allows students to “phone in” (877-823-2378) their monthly verifications.  The monthly verification of enrollment procedure has not been adopted for Chapters 33 or 35 students.

Change of Program

Students must notify the UM-Dearborn Veteran Certification Officer of a change of major/program. A change of program consists of a change in the educational, professional, or vocational objective for which the veteran or eligible person entered training, and a change in the type of courses or the number of credit hours required to attain the new objective. This includes any change in an eligible persons program or objective which will lengthen the training time. A material loss of credit is generally considered to be the loss of more than 12 credit hours. Changing a major requires the veteran to fill out a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form (22-1995 or 22-5495 for Chapter 35 dependents).  Chapter 31 students must contact their case manager for all changes.


Non-punitive Grades*:

If a student completes a term and receives non-punitive grade(s) in one or more courses, the student may be charged with an overpayment by VA.

*A non-punitive grade is a grade that does not count as earned credit.  It excludes the course from any consideration in determining progress toward fulfillment of graduation requirements.  Non-punitive grades include but are not limited to: NC, F, and W.  A punitive grade is a grade that is used in determining the student’s progress toward completion of graduation requirements and is a factor in computing the student’s grade point average.  Punitive grades include but are not limited to: A, B, C, D, and E.

Tuition Assistance (TA)

If a student is receiving Tuition Assistance (TA), the UM-Dearborn Certifying Official cannot certify your enrollment to VA.  However, the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty education program permits VA to pay a Tuition Assistance Top Up benefit if the student qualifies. The amount of the benefit could be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course. Forms for the purpose of applying for and using this benefit must be handled directly with the Regional Processing Center in St. Louis, MO.  See the GI Bill website for Tuition Assistance Top-up details.

Audited courses

The Department of Veteran Affairs will not pay for audited courses.

Additive Credit Courses

With the exception of remedial courses (MATH 080, MATH 090 and COMP 099), the Department of Veteran Affairs will not pay for courses offered as additive credit.  Additive credit is given for certain courses which may or may not be required of a student, but are not counted toward graduation.  These courses include but are not limited to some EDF Physical Education Courses (Tai Chi, Ice Skating, Yoga) and some co-operative education courses (ECE/IMSE/ME 299, 399, and 499).  If in doubt about a course for certification purposes, please contact the UM-Dearborn Certifying Official.

Repeating Courses

Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.
Courses that are successfully completed may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.

Change of Address and/or Direct Deposit

Students are responsible for keeping their address updated with the VA Regional Office.  Failure to update your address with the VA Regional Office will delay payment.  The most efficient way to change an address or change direct deposit status is to call the VA at 1-877-838-2778.  Direct deposit is not available for Chapter 35 recipients (Dependents of Veterans).

Changes in Benefits

If you are switching from one benefit program to another (e.g., going from Ch. 30 to Ch. 33), you must notify the UM-Dearborn Certifying Official immediately of your plans.

Concurrent Enrollment/Guest Student

A student may take courses at more than one school that apply to his or her degree program. The school that will grant the degree is the student’s “primary” school. All other schools are “secondary” schools. VA may pay benefits for courses taken at secondary schools as long as they will transfer back to the primary school and apply toward the student’s degree program.

To gain VA certification for courses taken at secondary schools, a student must seek approval to elect courses at other colleges and universities (including other campuses of the University of Michigan) by completing the University of Michigan-Dearborn Request to Elect Off-Campus Courses. You must follow the procedures for processing this form through your academic school or college. If the Off-Campus Request is approved, please submit a copy to the VA Certifying Official.

Upon receipt of an approved Request to Elect Off-Campus Courses form, an approval letter will then be sent to the VA Certifying Official (or hand carried by the student) at the secondary school requesting that they certify the student for the course(s) listed in the letter.

Once the course or semester is over, the student must arrange to have a transcript from the secondary school sent to the appropriate office here at UM-Dearborn.  This MUST BE DONE AFTER EACH SEMESTER that a student is enrolled at the secondary school.  The VA Certifying Official may also require that you sign a release for transcript as a part of the process. When a compliance survey is conducted, our records will be reviewed to verify that the course was applied toward the student’s degree program.