Office of International Affairs

International Student/Scholar Health Insurance

If you are an F-1 or J-1 international student or a J-1 visiting scholar whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan, you are required to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any F-2 or J-2 dependents while at the University of Michigan. In order to meet U-M requirements, your health insurance must, in the judgment of the University, provide coverage that is at least comparable to the coverage provided by the U-M International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan.

Health insurance coverage is coordinated through the Office of International Affairs. For further information contact Suzette Crandell at 313-583-6600 or

This section provides the following information on the U-M health insurance requirement and the U-M Health Insurance Plan:

Related Links

Tuberculosis ( TB )
Health Insurance