Future International Students

Proof of Status

Students who are not U.S. citizens must provide proof of their current status in the U.S. Please refer to the appropriate category below:

    U.S. Permanent Residents

    Submit a photocopy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Alien Registration Card (green card). If you have been approved but have not yet received your card, send a photocopy of the identification page of your passport (name and photo), and a copy of the passport page containing the I-551 stamp.

    F-1 Visa Students

    If you are already in the U.S. studying on an F-1 visa, you must submit a copy of your current I-20 form (front and back), and a copy of your I-94 card. Students currently outside the U.S. who plan to obtain an F-1 visa from abroad for use in entering the U.S. should write "plan to obtain F-1" in the "Type of Visa" section on the application form.

    Other Visa Students, Refugees, and Asylees

    If you are currently in the U.S. as a refugee, asylee, or on a temporary visa other than the F-1 student visa (such as F-2, B-2, H-4, etc.), you must provide a copy of the identification page of your passport (name and photo) and a copy of the page containing the stamp which indicates your status in the U.S. If you wish to change to F-1 status as you begin attending UM-Dearborn, please indicate this on your application.

    Special Information for Canadians

    If you wish to study full-time in the U.S. (12 or more credit hours), you must submit all documentation to this office as if you were applying for an F-1 visa. Canadians are not required to actually obtain the F-1 visa, but must be able to show border officials that the visa paperwork has been completed. If you wish to attend only part-time (less than 12 credit hours), you need only a "border crossing" letter, which this office will supply if you are admitted.