Office of International Affairs

Other Issues of Concern

  • Inappropriate advice given to exchange visitors by a faculty member, academic adviser or international adviser that results in loss of legal status is not accepted by USCIS as grounds to reinstate exchange visitors to legal status
  • Reinstatement to legal status will rarely, if ever, be granted in the U.S. to exchange visitors who lose their status. If you are out of status, you must return home with no guarantee of being issued a visa to return.
  • J-2 dependents may request work permission from the International Office or attend school while they are in the United States.
  • It is a requirement that all F1/J1 visa students and exchange visitors must file U.S. income tax forms regardless of employment status.