8 Ways to Stay Safe on and off Campus
We at the Department of Public Safety have assembled these tips to help you stay safe on and off campus.
Safety in numbers. When walking to or from class, walk with classmates or another student walking in your direction.
- Check your surroundings. Walk with confidence. Look around, stay aware of what is going on around you.
- Listen to your "gut feelings". If something in the pit of your stomach says something isn't right, follow your instincts!
- Lock your vehicle. Don't leave valuables in the open. Put them in your trunk. Invest in a simple steering wheel locking device.
- Have your keys out and ready. Reach your car with keys in hand, so you do not have to fumble around in a purse or book bag looking for your keys.
- Let someone know. If you are having problems with an estranged spouse or an "ex" that is stalking you, let friends and family know. Tell the Department of Public Safety so we may assist you. Document these kind of problems with your local police department and request a Personal Protection Order. Stalking is against the law, either by mail, computer, phone, or in person!
- Be responsible. Safeguard your belongings. If you set your bookbag down and walk away from it, even for a few seconds, it may not be there when you come back. Don't carry large amounts of cash, cell phones, or laptops that you won't be using. Mark your valuables. Use your Driver's License Number, it can be traced back directly to you!
- Let us help you. We provide 24-hour escort service. We have officers with years of experience in campus safety, corporate investigations, law enforcement, and crime prevention. Our department is in full operation seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our mission is to help in making your University of Michigan experience a safe one with great memories.
If we can offer any assistance, come in and see us. We are located in the CSS building right next to the parking structure on north campus. The non-emergency phone number to dispatch and operations is 313-593-5333. For emergencies while out on campus, pick up any emergency phone to link into our dispatch center.