Experience+ is a collaborative effort designed to promote a Dearborn Wolverine's academic, personal and professional growth. Students will have access to technological support, undergraduate research, intercultural opportunities and career development through interactive learning experiences.
Questions? Contact us for more information: ExperiencePlus@umich.edu
Launched in January 2021, this campus-wide initiative endeavors to connect students to opportunities across campus, to encourage learning experiences and reflection, and to promote academic, personal, and professional competencies.
There are a variety of engagement areas, including:
- Professional development that promotes career competencies
- Global learning that builds intercultural awareness in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Undergraduate research that encourages academic exploration for all students
- Information and digital literacy that prepares students for the demands of tomorrow's work
- Personal growth and development that includes self reflection and self-understanding
Experience+ provides programming, workshops, career development and research opportunities, as well as support for current internship and co-op programs in partnership with faculty and the colleges.
In addition to all the great work conducted by our collaborating partners, Experience+ has also launched the following initiatives - a short description of each is below.
Experience+ provides independent research grants for undergraduate and graduate students including conference travel.
In addition, Experience+ supports the Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE), and aims to grow and enhance the undergraduate research experience for UM-Dearborn students. The SURE program provides current students the opportunity to participate in individual research projects under the mentorship of faculty while learning about research-oriented careers. SURE 2021 is underway - you can view the program guidelines page or contact the SURE faculty committee at email@example.com for more information.
Have questions on how to do an assignment in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or an Adobe product? Not sure what the difference is between "editing" and "suggesting" in a Google doc? TechTutors are here to help! Whether it is an assignment, an Excel challenge, or general help with software and tools such as the Office and Google suites and Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, TechTutors will problem-solve with you to find a solution. TechTutors are available to students, staff and faculty via Zoom - see the graphic for current hours and the Zoom link. You can also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions or set up a different time if those listed below don't work for you.
Faculty, if you have certain assignments that you know have technology pain points, you can connect with email@example.com so they can be prepared to help your students. Also, if you have suggestions about tools your students commonly struggle with, please let us know so we may include them in the training for our TechTutors.
Don't forget these other great resources:
- The Hub for faculty assistance with creating assignments that incorporate technology
- ITS Service Desk for help with installing software, technical problems, account access, etc.
- Canvas Support: for technical problems that faculty or students encounter
To connect with a TechTutor during the summer of 2021, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your question as well as when you would like to meet.
The Wolverine Mentor Collective (Wolverine MC) is an exciting new peer mentoring program for first year, second year, and transfer undergraduate students. Students are matched with mentors who are there to offer guidance as students acclimate to life in college. Mentors will assist mentees in navigating the many adjustments that students often face when attending college for the first time. Sign up to become a mentor or mentee today!
More Than A Single Story: UM-Dearborn Speaks is a digital storytelling project that recently received a $25,000 grant from the Coalition for Life-Transformative Education. This project will offer students a paid experience in media and other digital technologies that will allow them to explore their identities, purposes, and communities through self-reflective storytelling while challenging the myths about Dearborn, the Detroit Metropolitan area, regional commuter campuses, and the impact of COVID-19 on the region.
Read more about it in this article and stay tuned for more information!
UM-Dearborn leadership in collaboration with members of the Experience Plus (EXP+) team have made a commitment to the families of UM-Dearborn faculty and staff by providing a K-12 summer tutoring program. This nine week program trains and employs nine current UM-Dearborn students who have been vetted for their ability to motivate your student(s) by providing a fun, engaging online mentoring relationship. Equipped with professional training and relevant resources, these tutors will initially assess the needs and learning goals of each student and then tailor their individualized online Zoom meetings for your student’s success.
UM-Dearborn’s Graduate Student Summer Writing Camp is an opportunity for Masters and Doctoral level students to develop their academic and professional writing in collaboration with faculty and staff experts throughout the summer, and, between meetings, in small peer writing support groups. To learn more contact email@example.com.
- Mardigian Library brings resources and experience teaching informational literacy and research skills
- Career Services prepares students for the world of work as they integrate their academic learning with their professional aspiration
- Talent Gateway focuses on the development of “soft skills” and encourages reflection on the impact of living and learning experiences on academic, personal, and professional goals
- Global Learning develops self-aware global citizens who can collaboratively address complex, borderless issues in a just and sustainable manner
- College Co-op and Internship Programs assist students in preparing for and finding work experience in their related fields.