University of Michigan-Dearborn is a caring, inclusive, student-focused institution. We are committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research and scholarship, as well as access, affordability and impact.
Founded on more than 200 beautiful acres of the original Henry Ford Estate, UM-Dearborn was forged in a community of working people with the global economy in mind.
We offer a transformative education reflective of University of Michigan acclaim and rooted in an ongoing commitment to the well-being of metropolitan Detroit. Since our inception, we have set ourselves apart in higher education through intentional, meaningful engagement with local industry, government and nonprofits.
UM-Dearborn is rich in opportunities for independent and collaborative research, integrated learning and civic engagement. We are responsive to the changing needs of our diverse student body, the world in which they live and work, ever-advancing technologies, and a knowledge-based economy and impact.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Preparing our graduates to become engaged citizens and creative leaders, ready to offer creative solutions to society’s challenges impacting urban environments at all scales;
- Empowering student learning and a growth mindset through broad, deep and holistic interaction with the liberal arts and sciences, professional studies and cutting-edge research;
- Applying innovative pedagogies and advanced teaching and problem-based learning by a faculty that is inspiring and caring and whose members are at the cutting edge of their disciplines;
- Building the knowledge and skills essential for personal growth and transformation, professional success and advancing the common good;
- Creating and sharing knowledge through pioneering research and maximizing our partnerships with diverse sectors of our community;
- Fostering, nurturing and celebrating a dynamic, caring, inclusive and welcoming environment where innovation, openness and creativity flourish;
- Forging mutually beneficial partnerships with businesses, community-based organizations, educational institutions and government agencies;
- Stressing accessibility, flexibility, affordability, diversity and inclusion
Visit our strategic planning blueprint that guides our decisions to achieve our mission.
Almost 47% of our students are first-generation college students.