Official Internet Domain Name
University of Michigan-Dearborn’s official domain name is umdearborn.edu. The umdearborn.edu domain name should be used on all University communications and promotions.
umd.umich.edu is the former domain name of the university that is still utilized for certain systems. This domain name should only be used in reference to those systems, if still applicable. This address should not be published externally. It is for internal use only.
Eventually all umd.umich.edu domains will be migrated to umdearborn.edu.
Subdomains are domains that are part of larger domains, for example, athletics.umdearborn.edu. Subdomains are practical in that they serve as an address for the website. They also have marketing and communications benefits in that they are memorable.
UM-Dearborn allows the creation of subdomains in certain categories and in certain cases, detailed below.
Guidelines and Process for Requesting Subdomain Names
Subdomains are not created for parts of the main UM-Dearborn website (on the Drupal CMS). All website addresses are umdearborn.edu/college or unit name
The software or product for which the subdomain is requested must be recognized and approved by Information Technology Services before a subdomain is created. Contact Carrie Shumaker. In addition, websites for which subdomains are requested must be recognized and approved by External Relations and ITS. Contact Laura Garling.
Created subdomains adhere to the conventions established by External Relations and ITS. In most cases, subdomains will follow a categorical naming convention:
Research labs will use labs.umdearborn.edu/[labname]
Software services will use services.umdearborn.edu/[servicename]
Organizations and groups will use groups.umdearborn.edu/[groupname]
Enterprise-level, university-wide software products, services and websites that serve both internal and external audiences outside of the main UM-Dearborn website may use [subdomain].umdearborn.edu. For example, products, services or website related to CRM.
Subdomains will be renewed yearly to determine visits and activity. If sites are not kept up-to-date, there is no activity or if there is no longer an “owner” for the site and its content, the site will be deleted.
This subdomain policy is effective July 1, 2017. Legacy domains using [subdomain].umd.umich.edu domains may request to be moved, but that work will be scheduled as appropriate and feasible by ITS.
“I want a subdomain created for Financial Aid’s webpages on umdearborn.edu.”
- This subdomain would not be approved. The UM-Dearborn website on Drupal does not use subdomains.
“I want a subdomain for my research lab’s website.”
- This subdomain would likely be approved. The website would need to be recognized and approved by both ITS and External Relations. The subdomain name would be labs.umdearborn.edu/[labname] and subject to yearly renewal.
“I want a subdomain for my enterprise-level, university-wide, ITS-approved software or service.”
- This subdomain would be approved. The subdomain name would be [subdomain].umdearborn.edu and subject to yearly renewal.
“I want a subdomain or redirect from umdearborn.edu to my website created without ITS/External Relations’ knowledge and consent.”
- This subdomain would not be approved. The website would need to be recognized and approved by ITS and External Relations prior to subdomain creation. Redirects from umdearborn.edu to external sites are never permitted.
“I want a subdomain for my software product purchased or created without ITS’ knowledge and consent.”
- This subdomain would not be approved. The software would need to be recognized and approved by ITS prior to subdomain creation.
“I have a website/product approved by the university, ITS and External Relations. Can I have a subdomain or redirect?”
- This subdomain would be approved, but redirects from umdearborn.edu to external sites are never permitted.