The University strongly encourages any individual to make a report of suspected Prohibited Conduct directly to OIE through any of the reporting methods outlined below. Reports can also be made to the Individuals with Reporting Obligations listed in Section VII, but the University strongly encourages reporting to OIE so that OIE may promptly discuss the availability of Supportive Measures and available processes with the Complainant, including by contacting the Complainant when another person makes the report.

Recognizing that some forms of Prohibited Conduct may also constitute crimes, the University also strongly encourages any individual who experiences, witnesses, or learns of possible criminal conduct to report to DPSS or local law enforcement. Prompt reporting allows law enforcement to collect and preserve evidence.

Set forth below is information regarding how to make a report of any form of Prohibited Conduct to the University, how to file a Formal Complaint, and how to report to DPSS:

A. Reporting to the University

1. Contact the Office for Institutional Equity and Title IX Coordinator

a. How to Make Reports of Prohibited Conduct

Reports of Prohibited Conduct, whether Sexual and Gender- Based Misconduct or Title IX Misconduct, should be made to OIE. Making a report means informing OIE about the suspected Prohibited Conduct.

Individuals may also contact OIE to ask about this Policy and related procedures, or to otherwise inquire about the University’s responses to Prohibited Conduct in its Programs and Activities.

OIE, including the Title IX Coordinator, can be contacted by telephone or in person by appointment during regular office hours (Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), or by email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Online reporting is also available on a 24/7 basis. Contact information is as follows:



Contact Information

Online Reporting

Ann Arbor

Elizabeth Seney, Title IX Coordinator – Ann Arbor

Office for Institutional Equity 2072 Administrative Services Building

1009 Greene Street

Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 (734) 763-0235 (telephone)

(734) 647-1388 (TTY)


Pamela Heatlie, Director, Office for Institutional Equity and Title IX Coordinator – Dearborn

Office for Institutional Equity
1114 Administration Building

4901 Evergreen Road

Dearborn, MI 48128

(313) 436-9194


Tess Barker, Director, Office for Institutional Equity/Title IX Coordinator – Flint


Office for Institutional Equity
234 University Pavilion

303 E. Kearsley Street Flint, MI 48502-1950

(810) 762-3324



Kirstie Stroble, Deputy Title IX Coordinator

(810) 237-6517  

2. Reports to Individuals with Reporting Obligations

Individuals who are designated by the University as Individuals with Reporting Obligations (see Section VII) are obligated to report to OIE any information they learn about Prohibited Conduct, as discussed in more detail below. Individuals with Reporting Obligations should not attempt to determine whether the behavior at issue constitutes Prohibited Conduct; instead, they must report all information about potential Prohibited Conduct to OIE, and OIE will determine how to most appropriately handle the report. A list of Individuals with Reporting Obligations and a description of their obligations is set forth in Section VII.

3. Anonymous Reporting

Individuals who are not Individuals with Reporting Obligations may, if they prefer, make reports of Prohibited Conduct to OIE without disclosing their name, by using the online reporting form listed in the above chart for the relevant campus or, on a 24/7 basis, by the following method:



Contact Information

Online Reporting


All Campuses


Compliance Hotline


(866) 990-0111


Online Reporting Form

Depending on the level of information available about the incident and the individuals involved, the University’s ability to respond to an anonymous report may be limited. The University will, however, take whatever steps it deems appropriate and in the best interests of the overall University Community, consistent with the information available.

B. Reporting to Law Enforcement

An individual who experiences, witnesses, or learns of possible criminal conduct should contact law enforcement directly by calling:

  • 911 (for emergencies) or

Division of Public Safety (DPSS)

University of Michigan Police Department (UMPD) Special Victims Unit
(dedicated unit for responding to and investigating sexual assaults, intimate partner violence,
stalking, and child abuse)

(734) 763-1131

  University of Michigan – Dearborn Department of Police and Public Safety (313) 593-5333
  University of Michigan – Flint Department of Public Safety (810) 762-3333

Ann Arbor Local Law Enforcement

Ann Arbor Police Department

(734) 994-2911

  Ypsilanti Police Department

(734) 483-9510

  Washtenaw County Sheriff Department (734) 971-8400

Dearborn Local Law Enforcement

Dearborn Police Department

(313) 943-2241

  Wayne County Sheriff Department (313) 224-2222

Flint Local Law Enforcement

Flint Police Department

(810) 237-6800

  Genesee County Sheriff Department (810) 257-3407

C. Receipt by the University of Reports of Prohibited Conduct

Any individual may report Prohibited Conduct. It is not necessary for a reporting party or Complainant to determine in advance whether the behavior at issue meets the definition of Prohibited Conduct. Upon receipt of a report, OIE will undertake a continuing assessment to determine the form of Prohibited Conduct at issue and, in cases involving Employees and/or Third Parties, which procedures are applicable. 3

When OIE or the Title IX Coordinator receives a report of Prohibited Conduct, OIE will in all cases where the Complainant is identified, contact the Complainant to: (1) discuss the availability of Supportive Measures; (2) ask about the Complainant’s wishes with respect to Supportive Measures; (3) inform the Complainant of the availability of Supportive Measures with or without the filing of a Formal Complaint, and (4) explain how to file a Formal Complaint.

The process for filing a Formal Complaint is described in greater detail in Section VIII, but a Formal Complaint may be filed by a Complainant when a report is made or at another time thereafter, and may be filed with respect to conduct that constitutes Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct or Title IX Misconduct. In some cases, as explained in further detail in Section VIII, the Title IX Coordinator may file a Formal Complaint even where the Complainant has not decided to do so.

D. Additional Information about Reporting

1. Time Frame for Reporting an Incident to the University

The University strongly encourages individuals to report possible Prohibited Conduct promptly. To promote timely and effective review and appropriate corrective action (when applicable), the University encourages individuals to report possible Prohibited Conduct within 180 calendar days. Although the University does not limit the time for reporting Prohibited Conduct, it may be more difficult for the University to gather relevant and reliable evidence or to take corrective action regarding conduct that is reported to have occurred relatively long ago.

If the Respondent is no longer a Student, Employee, or a person who is participating or attempting to participate in any University Program or Activity at the time of the report, and/or if the reported conduct does not fall within the definition of Prohibited Conduct, the University’s ability to take action against the Respondent under the Policy may be limited. The University will, however, help a Complainant identify other options outside the University, such as local law enforcement, and provide support and resources.

2. Information on Amnesty to Students When Reporting Prohibited Conduct to the University

Sometimes Students are reluctant to seek help after experiencing Prohibited Conduct, or may be reluctant to help others who may have experienced Prohibited Conduct, because they fear of being held responsible by the University or law enforcement for illegal drug use or underage alcohol consumption.

To encourage individuals to report Prohibited Conduct and seek medical care, the University will not pursue University misconduct charges against any Student in an investigation under this Policy for potential violations of University policy for personal consumption of alcohol or other drugs identified during an investigation, as long as any such violations did not and do not place the health or safety of any other person at risk. The University may, however, initiate an assessment, educational discussion, or pursue other non-disciplinary options to address the alcohol or other drug use.

In addition, to better ensure that individuals who may be at medical risk as a result of alcohol intoxication or drug consumption will receive prompt and appropriate medical attention, the State of Michigan has adopted a Medical Amnesty Law to remove perceived barriers to seeking help. Michigan law includes exemption from prosecution any minor, defined as some under 21, who:

  • Voluntarily accesses a health facility or agency for treatment or observation after consuming alcohol or other drugs;
  • Accompanies an individual who voluntarily accesses a health facility or agency for treatment or observation after consuming alcohol or other drugs; or
  • Initiates contact with law enforcement or emergency medical services personnel for the purpose of obtaining medical assistance in connection with their own personal consumption of alcohol or other drugs; or consumption by others.

3 Consistent with Title IX and applicable law, the University uses the same procedures for all Prohibited Conduct allegations involving Student Respondents. In cases involving Employee Respondents, the University uses one of two procedures, both which are designed to comply with applicable law while also promoting procedural efficiency and, to the extent practicable, consistency with other University policies, practices and procedures.

Back to top of page