English Composition Placement Exams start at 10:00 am. Mathematics Placement Exams start at noon. Both exams take place in the Fairlane Center South Building.
Learn about Placement Exams
English Placement Exams
English Placement Exams begin at 10 am for each session.
Regardless of the total number of credits earned, or if you have taken the equivalent of Composition 105 or Composition 106, you must take the English Placement Exam to fulfill the requirement for graduation. You will be given two hours to type a response in essay format to a two-page selection from a published author. Please keep in mind that there is no "correct" response to the question. This exam can only be taken once. The exam should be completed prior to attending orientation, but no later than the first six weeks of your first semester. If taken after your orientation session it will take approximately 2-3 weeks to receive your exam results.
Mathematics Placement Exam
Mathematics Placement Exams begin at noon for each session.
The Mathematics Placement Exam is required dependent on your academic college. Please view exemptions below. This computer-based test has no time limit (though most students typically end within two hours). Calculators are not allowed for this test. You can take the Mathematics Placement Exam up to 3 times (with a 30-day wait period). This exam helps place you into the appropriate Mathematics level. It will take approximately 2-3 weeks to receive your Mathematics examination results.
Mathematics placement exam exemptions, by college:
- College of Engineering and Computer Science students who are transferring in the UM-Dearborn equivalent of Calculus I or higher with a "C" or better, are not required to take the exam.
- If you are in the College of Business and you are transferring in the UM-Dearborn equivalent finite math, college algebra, or pre-calculus with a "C" or better, it exempts you from the exam.
- If you are in the College of Education, Health, and Human Services and are not a Mathematics major or minor, you are exempt from the exam.
- If you are in the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters and you are transferring in the equivalent of Pre-Calculus and higher or you plan to take Math 131 (Conceptual Mathematics), you are exempt from the exam. However, if you are enrolled as a Math or Secondary Education Math major/minor and are not transferring in Pre-Calculus, you will need to take the exam.
Foreign Language Placement Exam
The Foreign Language Placement Exam is strongly recommended for students with experience in a language who plan to continue in that same language at the University of Michigan-Dearborn (whether required for graduation or not). This exam should be taken prior to attending Orientation. Placement Exams are offered in French, German, and Spanish as a computer-based exam, and Arabic as a paper-based exam. It will take approximately 2-3 weeks to receive your placement exam results in the mail. To Schedule a Foreign Language Placement Exam
Foreign Language Placement Exams take place on select Fridays:
- February 22
- March 15
- March 22
- April 12
- April 19
- April 26
Advance registration is required to take the exam. The examination takes place in 3065 CASL Building at 10 am.
Foreign Language Academic Unit Requirements
The College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (CASL) Foreign Language distribution requirement can be fulfilled by:
- Successfully completing a two-semester language sequence at UM-Dearborn, or Successfully completing a 3 or 4 credit hour Foreign Language course (this course cannot be taught in English) at the 102 level or higher, or
- Having completed at least 3 years of Foreign Language (in the same language) in high school with a grade of "C" or better in the final course. Students wishing to request that the requirement be waived on this basis must submit a written petition to CASL Advising, 1039 CASL Building, or
- Transferring the equivalent of 8 credit hours of a language sequence from another institution.
Students who wish to fulfill the CASL Foreign Language requirement based on study or experience other than that outlined above may do so by:
- Completing the equivalent of a high school degree from a school that used a language other than English for instruction. A diploma attesting to the language of instruction and graduation from the high school program is necessary and official English translations of foreign transcripts are required. Students wishing to request that the requirement be waived on this basis must submit a written petition to CASL Advising, 1039 1039 CASL Building, or
- Passing an oral and written proficiency exam.
There is no foreign language requirement for:
- College of Business
- College of Education, Health, and Human Services
- College of Engineering and Computer Science
Register for Placement Exams
Register for your placement exams by clicking the button below to view the exam schedule in calendar format. You must submit a registration for all exams you wish to take. You will receive an email confirmation and a reminder prior to the examination date.
If you have any questions, contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation at 313-593-5100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Placement Exam Results
Placement exam results will post to your DegreeWorks record.
For questions regarding the results of an examination, please contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation at 313-593-5100.