Course Transfer System

The Course Transfer System is a valuable resource for transfer students!

While it is not an official credit evaluation, this resource can serve in determining the transferability of courses from an accredited college or university in the state of Michigan. This information is always current.  

This database reflects courses that potentially transfer to UM-Dearborn, but does not necessarily indicate if or how these courses will be used toward your particular degree program. Once you have been admitted, an academic advisor in your unit can provide more specific information about how your transfer coursework will be applied to your program requirements. The number of credit hours that apply to your particular program will determine the number of additional UM-Dearborn credit hours necessary for degree completion.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is responsible for managing the credit transfer process on the UM-Dearborn campus. All course equivalencies have been approved by University representatives and are recorded in the Course Transfer System (CTS). Admissions staff review a student’s transcripts and grant equivalencies based on the information in the CTS and enter those credit approvals on the student’s Transfer Equivalency Worksheet. If there are transfer courses not in the CTS, the course(s) will be reviewed and added to the CTS. Students have the prerogative to petition courses they believe should be deemed transferable or equivalent.

Using the CTS

Courses correspond in one of six ways:

Exact Equivalent
The course is equivalent to a UM-Dearborn course. The UM-Dearborn course abbreviation and number will be listed.

Lower Distribution Credit
The course is transferable, but not equivalent to a UM-Dearborn course. Upon enrollment, the academic unit will determine whether the course may satisfy a general education requirement.

Upper Level Credit
The course is transferrable, but it is not equivalent to a UM-Dearborn course. Upon enrollment, the academic unit will determine which requirement the course may satisfy.

General Credit
The course is not equivalent to a UM-Dearborn course, however, it is considered college level. The course will transfer as general credit, but may not be used to satisfy any specific requirements.

No Credit
Course does not transfer.

Course can be petitioned for credit. This may occur when the evaluator is unable to determine, from your transcript, what credit should be awarded. This is also likely to occur in the case of a topics or experiential courses such as: independent study, independent research, or internships. Any non-transferable course may be petitioned through your academic unit. You should speak with an academic advisor in your unit immediately upon your enrollment.

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Outside 1600 - Social Sciences Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-593-5300
Fax: 313-436-9167