About the program
Through this program you will learn about the interconnectedness of Southeast Michigan’s natural ecosystems and how everyone can contribute to wildlife conservation in their own backyard and community. You will also learn about interpretive techniques that will help you share what you have learned in meaningful and creative ways. The program runs one Saturday per month from May through October (dates and topics shown in table below). For details regarding cost, required textbooks, etc., see the flyer. Sign up for this exciting course and start your journey to become a Michigan Master Naturalist! Register. This program is limited to 30 participants. It tends to fill up very quickly.
Who should attend?
This program is open to adults interested in gaining a greater understanding of Southeast Michigan’s natural environment and ecological communities with a focus on native flora and fauna.
Successful participation in this program requires a commitment of both time and money. Please consider the following:
1. Participants must be 18 or older.
2. Participants will be working toward certification and will be expected to learn material on their own, in addition to attending class sessions.
3. Attendance at all sessions is required, i.e., one Saturday a month from May through October. Specific dates and topics are posted at umdearborn.edu/eic-MiMN
4. To get certified, you must score at least 80% on the final test
5. The program costs $200 and, in addition, participants have to purchase 2 textbooks (Bringing Nature Home by Tallamy, Field Guide to Nature of The Midwest by Kaufman)
6. Instruction will be virtual and/or (depending on Covid restrictions) naturalist-led in the field. Participants are responsible for their own transportation and possible park entry fees.
2021 Rouge River Region Program
The dates and topics for the 2021 Master Naturalist Rouge River Region program are listed below. The field sites for self-guided or instructor-led field experiences (depending on Covid-19 restrictions) will be shared with participants.