Below you will find relevant college and campus policies, as well as common forms used by our office.

If you can't find what you're looking for or having any other questions, do not hesitate to contact the Office of Advising and Academic Success. Our advisors are available to provide information about program requirements, university policies and procedures, and campus resources.

Common Forms

While the CECS Office of Advising and Academic Success is operating remotely, all forms can be submitted electronically.  Please send completed forms to or email them directly to your advisor.


Taking Classes off Campus

Transfer Credit
  • New transfer students must have their official transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions.
  • Current CECS students are responsible for requesting official transcripts be sent to the Office of Advising and Academic Success, 2000 HPEC, from their guest institution for official transfer credit evaluation.
  • A minimum ‘C’ grade is required to transfer any coursework.
  • Only the number of credits the course is worth at UM-Dearborn can count toward degree. For example, if a lab science course at a community college is 5 credits, only 4 credits will count toward degree. The extra credit(s) cannot be applied. This includes required elective credits.
  • Students are responsible for understanding the university residency requirements, maximum credit limits for transfer credit, and other transfer policies, as stated on the Registrar’s Office website.  Per the university residency requirement, a maximum of 6 of a student's final 36 credits toward degree can be taken off-campus. 
  • If a student takes a course as a guest student elsewhere, credit is not posted on the student's Degree Works until an official transcript is received directly from the institution where the course was taken. 
  • If the course is a prerequisite or co-requisite for a course at UM-Dearborn, the students will not be permitted to register for the course until the college receives a final grade.
Taking Classes Off-campus Your Senior Year

CECS students, in their final 36 credits toward degree, must complete their remaining coursework at UM-Dearborn.  Off-campus courses are not accepted in a student's senior year. 


No-credit Courses

The NO-CREDIT List is not necessarily complete. There may be new courses introduced in other academic units which would be no credit courses for CECS students.  Always check with an advisor in the Office of Advising and Academic Success if you have questions about a specific course.  These and any cross-listed courses are also no credit.

BSE Degrees (BENG, CE, EE, ISE, MFGE, ME or RE)

No Pass/Fail courses count for credit.

  •  All “Statistical” or “Analysis of Data” oriented courses including ECON 305, PSYC 312, SOC 464, STAT 325
  • CIS, MIS, ITM 100 level--except CIS 150
  • BA 100, FIN 200
  • Any MATH course lower than MATH 115
  • MATH 363, 386, 387, and courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
  • Any CHEM course below 124 and courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
  • PHYS 360, 401, courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
  • NSCI 123, 290
  • Credit cannot be earned for both PSYC 171 and PSYC 101
  • COMP 106 (can apply towards a CECS degree only if taken PRIIOR to admission to CECS)

General or free elective credit only for:

  • MAPP 348 - no other MAPP
  • MTHY 102 - no other MTHY
  • EXPS 102 (only when taken as freshman) or EXPS 420
  • A maximum of 4 Military Science (MILS) credits as general elective credit only.
  • A maximum of 2 Marching Band credits as general elective credit only.

Credit for one course only from the following (in each line):

  • ECE 305, ECE 210
  • ECE 375, CIS 310
  • ECE 371, CIS 350, CIS 3501, IMSE 351, IMSE 352
  • ECE 276, CIS 275, MATH 276
  • ECE 3801, ECE 3171, ECE 317
  • ECE 270, CIS 150, CIS 205, IMSE 255
  • ECE 370, CIS 200
  • IMSE 317, MATH 325
  • CIS 381, IMSE 381, ECE 464
BS Degrees (CIS, DFOR, DS, SWE)

No Pass/Fail courses count for credit

  • All “Statistical” or “Analysis of Data” oriented courses including ECON 305, PSYC 312, SOC 464, STAT 325 (STAT 325 is allowed for Data Science only) 
  • CIS 205, 125 and CIS courses transferring in @ GEN
  • LIBS 101, 200, 300

  • Any MATH course lower than MATH 115

  • MATH 363, 386, 387, courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution

  • NSCI 100

  • No credit for:  CIS 123, ENGR 100, IMSE 255 if taken after completion of CIS 150

  • Credit cannot be earned for both PSYC 171 and PSYC 101

  • COMP 106 (can apply towards a CECS degree only if taken PRIIOR to admission to CECS)

General Elective Area Description (CIS)

  • A maximum of 4 Military Science (MILS) credits as general elective credit only.

  • A maximum of 2 Marching Band credits as general elective credit only.

  • EXPS 102 (only when taken as freshman) or EXPS 420

Credit for one course only from the following (in each line)

  • ECE 375, CIS 310

  • ECE 371, CIS 350, CIS 3501, IMSE 351, IMSE 352

  • ECE 321, PHYS 403​

  • IMSE 317, MATH 325

  • ECE 276, CIS 275​, MATH 276

  • ECE 3801, ECE 3171, ECE 317

  • ECE 270, CIS 150, IMSE 255​

  • ECE 370, CIS 200

  • CIS 381, ECE 464, IMSE 381

Academic Policies

Good Academic Standing

Students are expected to remain in "good academic standing", that is, maintain both their overall cumulative GPA and their major GPA at 2.0 (a C) or higher.

Academic Probation

A student will be placed on academic probation if the student's overall cumulative GPA , current major cumulative GPA, or both, drops below 2.0.

Probation policies apply to the semester at the end of which the GPA fell below 2.0. Earning a higher grade in a repeated course does not retroactively change the probation status originally assigned using the earlier grade.  Once grades are reported and GPAs computed, students are notified of their probation status.  Students generally receive their probation letter after the following semester has begun.

CECS students who have been placed on probation abide by the following rules:

  • Probation students are restricted to enrolling in a maximum of 13 semester credits.
  • Students may not elect courses for which they have not passed the prerequisite course(s).  Math courses require a minimum 'C-' grade to progress to the next course.

  • A 'D-' grade in any course must be repeated, regardless of academic standing.

  • Students may not change their CECS major while on academic probation.

  • Probation students have, at most, two terms to raise their GPAs to 2.00 and return to good academic standing.
  • Probation students who do not return to good academic standing may be required to withdraw from the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
  • Students who are on academic probation must meet with their Advisor in the CECS Office of Advising and Academic Success to complete an Academic Change Contract, before the end of the add/drop period of their next enrolled term. Call 313-593-5510 to schedule an appointment. Failure to schedule this meeting will result in a hold that prevents registration for future semesters.
Required to Withdraw

CECS students whose grades have been continually below the standard necessary for continued enrollment will be required to withdraw from CECS and not allowed further registration.  The decision to require a student to withdraw is always made after semester grades are reported.  Students required to withdraw are notified as soon as possible and are dis-enrolled from all classes they may have registered for, which are likely to have already begun.  Notification to a student required to withdraw takes place AFTER the following semester has begun.

Knowing your GPA
  • Two different grade point averages (GPA) are computed for CECS students: overall cumulative GPA and major GPA.
  • The overall cumulative GPA counts grades in all courses taken at UM-Dearborn.  The major GPA counts grades in specified major courses only, depending on a student's declared major.
  • Learn to calculate your GPA
D- Repeat Policy

A grade of D- is not considered a passing grade in any CECS course. Furthermore, a course from another academic unit in which a CECS student earns a D- does not count toward the CECS degree and must be repeated. 

Cross-Campus Transfer

Students applying to CECS from a different academic unit on campus must meet the admission criteria for new students.  For students that submit the Change of Program Form after the selective drop deadline of a semester (after the ninth week of the semester), an admission decision will be made after final grades are posted from the current semester.

Composition Requirement (Comp 105 + Comp 270)

CECS students must take COMP 270, Technical Writing, to fulfill their second Composition requirement.  This applies to all freshman and transfer students, effective winter 2020.  If COMP 106 is taken, an additional one-credit writing studio in technical writing will be required.

Registration and Attendance

Registration Deadlines

Students are responsible for knowing and abiding by all registration deadline dates. Late adds and late drops are rarely permitted for CECS students.

Absences from Class

Students who miss classes should contact their instructors directly.  Students will not be dropped from courses for non-attendance; an “E” grade is assigned if the course is not officially dropped.  Students should confer with their instructor and advisor before dropping a course, but the decision to drop a course is the student’s responsibility.

Total Withdrawal

Students may withdraw from all their courses for a given semester up to the last day of classes (NOT the last day of exams).  CECS students who wish to withdraw from all their classes need the signature of an Academic Advisor (2000 HPEC).

Applying for Readmission

Applying for Readmission

Students seeking readmission to CECS must submit their readmission form prior to the first day of classes of a semester.  Students are encouraged to plan ahead and submit their readmission form well in advance of their planned semester of return.

Readmission after being required to withdraw is a separate process with an earlier deadline.

Student Petitions

Submitting a Petition

Students are responsible for complying with all policies and deadlines at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. The University academic policies, procedures, and deadlines can be found online in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs along with the Academic Calendar. A petition may be used to request an exception to some academic rules and policies.

Academic petitions are not automatically granted, but rather reviewed and evaluated with consideration of fairness and equity for all students, and on the basis of strong and well-documented arguments which clearly justify a student’s case for an exception. An exception to University policy is warranted only in cases involving unusual or extenuating circumstances that would normally not be faced by other students.

For cases unrelated to academic policies, such as alleged unfair teaching practice, disputing a grade, or other equity concerns, students should seek the counsel of the University Ombuds.

The University petition policy and petition form

Please allow approximately four to six weeks for a petition to be reviewed.  Students are responsible for submitting petitions well in advance of University deadlines, semester start dates, etc, to allow for this review time.  Students will be notified by email of the decision.

CECS Grievance Policy

Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in courses offered by CECS are expected to act professionally towards their peers, as well as the faculty and staff members of the College. The students are also expected to uphold the highest level of academic and personal integrity. The students should expect members of the college faculty and staff to act professionally and demonstrate the high integrity that characterizes the professional academic community. In the event a student files a grievance regarding a CECS faculty or staff member, or academic practices and policies, the College is committed to addressing the students concern swiftly in accordance with the procedures outlined in this document.

About the Academic Code of Conduct

The University of Michigan-Dearborn values academic honesty and integrity. Each student has a responsibility to understand, accept, and comply with the University's standards of academic conduct as set forth by the Code of Academic Conduct, as well as policies established by the schools and colleges. Cheating, collusion, misconduct, fabrication, and plagiarism are considered serious offenses. Violations will not be tolerated and may result in penalties up to and including expulsion from the University.

Responsible associate deans:

  • Brahim Medjahed, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education

  • Di Ma, Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Research

Reporting an Incident

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors on campus.

The University of Michigan Compliance Hotline is a tool for U-M employees, students, vendors and others to raise concerns regarding financial, regulatory, NCAA, substance abuse and patient safety issues.

The Campus-Wide Incident Reporting Website is a central area to report incidents of discrimination, harassment, hate, bias, sexual assault and instances of concern, safety and campus community wellbeing. If there is an emergency, immediately call 9-1-1. 

Advising and Academic Success

Engineering Lab Building (ELB)
Back to top of page