The UM-Dearborn Certificate of Online Teaching is designed for anyone wishing to become proficient in teaching in online, blended and hybrid learning environments.
The UM-Dearborn Certificate of Online Teaching is fully online. Students will learn how to design and develop their own online classroom using a learning management system (LMS) and become proficient in best practices related to online teaching. In addition, emphasis is placed on creating a wide range of web-based learning activities through the use of multimedia and developing competency in the use of relevant communication tools in order to facilitate instruction online. This program does not lead to Michigan Department of Education teacher certification.
- Fundamental Knowledge: Develop expertise in a variety of different technologies designed for use in instructional settings.
- Technology Integration and Instructional Design: Utilize best practices of instructional design to create a broad range of technology-enhanced learning activities.
- Online Teaching/Learning Practices: Become proficient in the effective design of online instructional activities.
The UM-Dearborn Certificate of Online Teaching is available through the following College of Education, Health, and Human Services programs:
- M.A. in Educational Technology: Earn the UM-Dearborn Certificate of Online Teaching with a Master of Arts in Educational Technology degree.
- Post-Degree Program: Earn the UM-Dearborn Certificate of Online Teaching without a master's degree.
Eligibility & how to apply
In order to receive your certificate, you need to complete a Certificate Completion Application. The application should be submitted at the beginning of the term in which you expect to complete your certificate requirements. Certificates are awarded three times a year and distributed by mail. The Certificate Completion Application must be submitted on or before the last day of classes in order to be processed within the term in which it is submitted. Students completing a certificate only are not allowed to participate in Commencement.