The Master of Education in Special Education prepares students to meet the educational needs of individuals with disabilities.
AN ADMISSIONS MORATORIUM HAS BEEN PLACED ON THIS PROGRAM. WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS.
The Master of Education in Special Education Program is a 30-credit hour program for teachers, administrators, social workers, other service providers and educators who wish to learn how to serve students with disabilities. Courses are offered with the working professional in mind. The courses required for the master's degree are offered during evening and summer hours and include several online courses.
What will I Learn?
Graduates of the Master of Education in Special Education program will gain:
- Skills in developmental, educational, legal and evaluative aspects of all disability categories
- Skills in educational assessment, planning and teaching students with disabilities in general and special-education environments
- Skills in consultation and collaboration with parents, educators and professionals throughout the community to provided appropriate and individualized services to students with disabilities
Visit the University Catalog to learn more about required coursework for the M.Ed. in Special Education.
Students must submit the following items with their application. The GRE is not required for admission to this program. The Office of International Affairs lists additional admission requirements for international students.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- 3.0 GPA or higher on submitted transcripts
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Valid state of Michigan teaching certificate
Before exiting from the M.Ed. in Special Education, you need to complete two steps:
The purpose of this survey is to assist the College of Education, Health, and Human Services with the evaluation of the master’s degree program and to serve as a guide for program development. The Exit Survey is a requirement for completion of the program. Submit the exit survey.