Interested in making a difference with students, but need certification as a teacher or principal?

If you hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, join us and work with the Department of Education to earn a Michigan Elementary or Secondary Standard Teaching Certificate through one of our certification-only programs. Our post-degree certification programs also offer you the opportunity to renew your certification, to add additional endorsements to current certification or to earn a school principal certificate.

If you are interested in having your transcripts evaluated, please fill out our Transcript Evaluation Request Form.

Programs for Certified Teachers

Professional Education Certificate Program (PEC): Renew your Certification

Both the Standard Teaching Certificate and the Professional Teaching Certificate are five-year teaching certificates with unlimited renewals. Each renewal adds five years to the certificate’s validity.  A renewal can be requested any time after January 1 of the expiration year.

Application for progression to the Professional Certificate may occur

Enhancement Program (EP): Add an Endorsement to your Certificate

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services offers this program for teachers who currently hold a Michigan Standard or Professional Education Certificate and wish to enhance their certificate with an additional area of preparation or endorsement.

Certification-Only Programs: Get an Initial Certification

A student who already holds a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is able to earn a Michigan Elementary or Secondary Standard Teaching Certificate through one of our "certification-only" programs. Completers of these programs are prepared to be competent, caring and reflective educators who are ready to teach in their chosen teaching area.

Department Contact Information

CEHHS Office for Student Success
262 Fairlane Center South (FCS)

Back to top of page