Faculty & Staff
The COVID-19 pandemic is forcing all of us to work differently, think creatively and adapt frequently and quickly to new procedures and expectations. We continue to rely on the commitment, flexibility and creativity of faculty and staff to provide the best possible learning experience for our students.
As we move through another substantive and productive academic semester, each of us will need to follow new safety precautions to ensure we keep our community as healthy as possible while making the most of all that UM-Dearborn has to offer.
- UM-Dearborn continues its transitional return to campus, with more than 65% of classes taught in person or in hybrid fashion, and a continued return of campus student support resources, co-curricular activities and campus services.
- Guests and visitors may be invited into the classroom. Guests should complete the ResponsiBLUE Guest health screening prior to coming to campus and the university mask policy must be followed.
- The Provost’s Office has collected important information for faculty and helpful information and resources around teaching and research on its website.
There is no change to the Winter 2022 academic calendar.
Protecting Your Safety
- We are following the health and safety guidelines developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state of Michigan, our University of Michigan colleagues and our own Dearborn experts to ensure a safe campus environment for our students, faculty and staff. Learn more on the Campus Health & Safety Measures page.
- Face coverings are required for all students, staff, faculty and visitors in indoor settings and on transportation, regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings are not required outdoors. Face coverings can be removed briefly for eating and drinking. Food and beverages are not allowed in classrooms.
- Before coming to campus, all UM-Dearborn faculty, staff and students must complete the ResponsiBLUE daily health screening. All guests to campus must complete the ResponsiBLUE Guest.
- All University of Michigan students, faculty and staff are required to receive the COVID vaccine including the booster shot, with limited exceptions. This policy is effective immediately and subject to change as pandemic conditions evolve. Learn more on the Vaccination page.
- Based on current health and safety guidelines, N95 masks, plexiglass barriers and six foot social distancing are not required at this time. Students, faculty and staff with medical or religious exemptions to the vaccine mandate should try to maintain a six foot distance when possible.
- Faculty or staff who test positive for COVID-19, are required to contact the Office of Human Resources at 313-593-5190 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returning to campus
- Many faculty and staff members will return to work on campus and in a hybrid arrangement, with some continuing to work remote. All employees working a hybrid or remote schedule are required to complete and submit a Remote/Flexible Work Agreement to HR.
- On-campus events have resumed in limited spaces. University policies regarding masking must be followed when planning and attending events. External guests will be required to complete ResponsiBLUE Guest prior to attending an event on campus and event organizers must create a pre-registration process for all event attendees. External guests do not have to show proof of vaccination.
- University Union & Events will continue to serve meeting and event requests. There is a required 2-week lead time to secure a meeting or event request. Departments should use the Room Reservations Form to submit all requests. All student organizations must submit requests through Victors Link. A roster of external guests should be completed for each event.
Common and collaboration spaces will be available in buildings throughout campus, providing students with the opportunity to participate in online courses, from campus, if desired.
Campus Building Access
- Most campus buildings are open Monday – Friday between 8am – 5pm, plus evenings when classes are scheduled. The current building schedule can be found here.
- Your MCard is required to enter the library. If you have misplaced your card, you will need to obtain a new one. Additional details about obtaining an MCard can be found on the website.
- Faculty can complete recordings on campus to support classroom instruction in the Digital Education Recording Room and the PEC. Appointments are required.
Mardigian Library and University Center
- The Mardigian Library has resumed all in person services including all floors open for study, group study rooms, printing, and computer labs and will continue to offer a variety of online resources. The library is only open to UM-Dearborn students, faculty and staff at this time and a valid Mcard is needed for access. Get more information on library hours on the Mardigian Library website.
- The University Center, a hub for campus activity, is open Mon.-Fri. 7:30am-7pm, closing at 6pm on Fridays. The Bookstore and UM Credit Union are open for in person business.
- Food service is available on campus from the McKinley Cafe open Mon.-Thur. 10am-6pm, Mug Life Cafe Mon-Thur. 11am-8pm, and via delivery at the Fairlane Center at www.prgmichigan.com and choose McKinley Cafe.
- The student food pantry will also continue to be available with appointments available 24 hours in advance.
- The university provides shuttle service between the Main and Fairlane Campuses and common housing locations (Fairlane Woods, Fairlane Meadows) on a regular schedule. Updated details regarding shuttle service are available on the shuttle website.
- Face coverings must be worn in order to board the shuttle.
- Complete the health questionnaire at responsiBLUE.umich.edu. Display the green screen on your mobile device for the shuttle driver to view.
- A valid UMID Card is required.
Research labs will continue to operate differently in the months ahead to protect health and safety. For more information on health and safety preparations in regards to research, visit the Environmental Health & Safety website.
Early Childhood Education Center (ECEC)
The Early Childhood Education Center (ECEC) is open for programming following guidelines from the CDC, state of Michigan including additional cleaning protocols, social distancing and smaller class sizes. Staff is also participating in COVID-19 testing. For more information visit the ECEC website.
Town Hall Recordings
View our previous Town Halls on COVID-19 planning and the University Budget.
It is important to note that this information is subject to change as the state of Michigan updates its executive orders as well as when additional guidance for UM-Dearborn campus planning is in place.