Effective August 11, 2021
Research shows that transmission of COVID-19 is greatly reduced, and lives are saved when all individuals wear face coverings while in public. Vaccination is also an effective tool to reduce the spread of COVID-19. It is the shared responsibility of the entire U-M community to protect not only their health but the health of those who are most vulnerable for serious illness and death from COVID-19. This policy is separate and distinct from the University Vaccination Policy. Please refer to that policy for more information about vaccination requirements at the university.
In light of increasing case transmission due to the Delta variant, the University of Michigan-Dearborn is again requiring the use of face coverings by all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, as more fully described below. The requirements of this policy will be in place for at least the first weeks of the fall semester to aid in protecting the UM-Dearborn community from the spread of COVID-19, including the Delta variant.
Except as otherwise allowed by this policy, UM-Dearborn requires all students, staff, faculty, and visitors to wear a face covering that covers the mouth and nose when indoors on UM-Dearborn property (including when at the Ann Arbor and Flint campuses) as well as all U-M controlled properties off campus and when on UM-Dearborn transportation (i.e., shuttle buses). Face masks are not required outdoors.
Additionally, certain units, such as when visiting University of Michigan – Health, may issue local level policies that supersede this policy and must be followed.
As exceptions to the above, instances where an individual is not required to wear a face covering indoors are when that individual is:
- Alone in a single enclosed private office.
- Eating or drinking.
- Under the age of 2 years old.
- Someone who is unable to remove a face covering without assistance.
- Required to wear assigned respiratory protection for the job tasks you are performing.
- Granted a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Students, for more information on requesting such accommodations, please contact Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS). Faculty and staff can contact the Human Resources Office.
- Alone in a private vehicle or a utility vehicle used for University business.
- Involved in an activity, including certain types of instruction, where wearing a face covering may be infeasible or present a safety hazard provided that a risk assessment is performed and reviewed by U-M Dearborn EHS.
- Communicating with someone who is hearing impaired or otherwise disabled and where the ability to see the mouth is essential to communication (in such circumstances, alternatives such as clear face coverings and other accommodations must also be explored).
- Recording a lab demonstration/ lecture capture for course study where the lecturer is alone in a room. If a video and/or sound engineer is present in the room, the off-camera personnel must maintain a 6 foot distance, or greater, from the lecturer.
- Receiving a service for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service or asked to temporarily remove a face covering for identification purposes.