EHS is responsible for the collection and recycling of batteries generated in buildings across campus.
Proper management of batteries is essential to protect human health and the environment. All types and sizes of batteries are accepted by EHS. Under no circumstances should any battery be discarded into the general trash.
- Provide guidance and training to generators to ensure the batteries are being managed in a manner that is compliant with State and Federal regulations.
- Collect and transport batteries from generation sites to collection areas in compliance with Department of Transportation regulations.
- Arrange for the shipment of batteries to a licensed recycling facility.
- Maintain records of all shipments of batteries.
- Maintain permits and licenses necessary for batteries management and transportation.
- Serve as liaison for regulatory agency staff during compliance inspections.
- Provide generators with a selection of waste containers and labels.
- Perform compliance audits of waste vendors to ensure adherence with University contract terms and conformance with State and Federal waste regulations.
- Personal household batteries can be taken for disposal to your local Home Depot or Lowes.