Bringing Nature to Your Neighborhood
In this program, students explore how landscaping with native plants in urban areas can help bring back native birds and other wildlife to our living spaces
Grade Levels, Program Length, and Season
- Appropriate for Grade Levels 6-8
- This program lasts 2 hours and can be adapted to suit your needs
- Offered from April - November
Program Descriptions and Activities
Your students will be engaged in a multifaceted program experience that may include:
- Discussing how non-native landscapes have disconnected important wildlife food webs and ways to re-stitch these interconnections by landscaping with native plants.
- Differentiating between native, non-native, and invasive plant species
- Learning to recognize different types of native plants that are the most beneficial to local wildlife
- Exploring how managed rain gardens with native plants can help improve the ecological health and function of the Rouge River and its watershed.