Essential Program Information
- We require 1 adult chaperone for every 10 children in the group. Please make these arrangements before requesting your program.
- Please make sure your students, as well as adult chaperones, are dressed appropriately for hands-on, extended outdoor explorations in potentially challenging weather conditions. Long pants, layered clothing, and durable shoes are highly recommended.
- Prepare students and chaperones for appropriate field trip behavior. The outdoor program site is a nature sanctuary and Environmental Study Area, so quiet group behavior is essential to a successful, focused, and non-disruptive program. Cell phones should be silenced and pocketed. No plants or animals are to be collected from the area. Smoking is not allowed on the UM-Dearborn campus.
- We strongly recommend bringing and applying insect repellent for mosquitoes and ticks. The outdoor program site is known to have ticks, including Deer Ticks, the type that can carry Lyme Disease. As such, we recommend taking measures to prevent tick exposure, including applying insect repellent that repels ticks, wearing long pants, and staying on marked trails.
- Review and share pre-visit resources provided on your program’s information page.
- In the event of extreme weather conditions, your program may be modified or rescheduled. In these events, we will contact you as early as possible to discuss accommodations and/or modifications to your program.
- Restroom facilities and space to eat a packed lunch are available to your group.
- All personal vehicles must be parked on the third floor of the Monteith Parking Structure, located next to the Campus support services building.
- The parking fee has been waived for the academic year 2022-23.
- A bus lane is available for loading/unloading directly in front of our building.
- More information about parking on campus.
- Review and share post-visit resources provided on your program’s information page.
- Please watch for and complete the follow-up survey in your email. This information helps us improve our programming and your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Before requesting a program, please consider the following:
- Review the detailed list of activities specific to each program and have an idea of which activities you are interested in.
- Please be aware that programs fill up quickly, and scheduling is done on a first come, first served basis.
- Program availability depends on sufficient advance notice for scheduling. Certain program topics fill up months in advance. We recommend requesting your program at least two weeks in advance of your planned visit.
In the program request form, you will be asked to submit the following information.
- Several potential dates and times for your visit.
- Length of time you have available for the program.
- Grade level(s) and number of students attending the program.
- Number of teachers and adult chaperones that will be joining your group.
- Whether your group will be eating a packed lunch on site.
If you have any questions or concerns:
Please contact Rick Simek at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 313-593-5354
We look forward to your visit.