Financial Aid

Accepting Aid

Special Note: 

All grants and some scholarships (“gift aid”) are automatically accepted on your behalf. You are expected to know and understand the terms and conditions associated with each award.

If you have been offered loans or work-study, you must decide to accept, to decline or to reduce each of these awards. Reducing or declining loans and/or work-study will not increase the amount of aid received in grants and scholarships. By accepting your award offers and receiving the funds, you are accepting responsibility to comply with all eligibility requirement

  • Loans must be repaid after graduation or upon leaving college or enrolling at a less than half-time status (6 credits undergraduate/4 credits graduate).
  • Work study provides funding for employment on campus and off campus for non-profit or community service employers.

Accepting or Declining Awards Online

  1. Visit     UM-Dearborn Connect
  2. Select   Enter Secure Area
  3. Enter    8 digit UMID and PIN
  4. Select   Financial Aid Tab
  5. Select   Financial Aid Status
  6. Select   The Aid Year ( 2014-2015 or 2015-2016) and submit
  7. Select   The Word Awarded
  8. Select   Tabs to view "General Information" and "Terms and Conditions" for important information about your award
  9. Select   Tabs with important information to be reviewed: "Award Overview", "Resources/Additional Information" and "Accept Award Offer"

Please note:  One semester loans cannot be accepted online--use a Student Decision Form or submit an email to

You may appeal of your financial aid resulting from the information and documentation related to the FAFSA.  

  • If you believe that the information provided on the FAFSA was incorrect, please make an appointment with a financial aid counselor.  You should bring income and asset documentation as well as complete the Verification Worksheet for a complete review of the existing information.  Upon completing a thorough review of the original information, corrections will be made (if needed) and the financial aid award will be adjusted (if needed)
  • If your families' financial circumstances have changed for the worse, you can complete the Special Circumstances Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid with all required documentation
  • If you have special budget concerns (will live off-campus during the academic year, will acquire a computer needed for school, have special disability costs), you should complete the Budget Adjustment Appeals Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid with documentation.