Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Student Consumer Information and Policies

In accordance with federal regulations set forth under The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, below is a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Each topic provides a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and provides access to the information.

Information About the UM-Dearborn

Information About Financial Assistance

Completion, Graduation and Retention Rate


Information on Student Body Diversity


Information on Post-Graduate Job Placement and Education

Completion/Graduation Rates for Student Athletes

Athletic Program Participation and Financial Support

Campus Safety and Security

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

University of Michiganís Equal Opportunity Statement

Complaint Procedures

Costs of Attending

Tuition and Fees

Costs and Budgets

Contact the Office of Registration and Records/Enrollment Services for actual tuition and fee charges

Office of Registration and Records
Enrollment Services
4901 Evergreen, University Center 1169
Dearborn, MI 48128-2406


Contact the Office of Financial Aid for estimated cost of attendance, including room and board, books and supplies, transportation, miscellaneous and personal allowances as well as tuition and fees.

Office of Financial Aid
4901 Evergreen, University Center 1183
Dearborn, MI 48128-2406


Return to the top

Refund Policy

The University of Michigan-Dearborn has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who drops classes or withdraws during a term. This policy is published by the Office of Registration and Records for each specific semester. A general policy on tuition and fees refund also appears on the Return to Title IV page.

Tuition Refund Policy and Return of Title IV Aid Policy

Return to the top



Withdrawal Procedures

Students who withdraw from all classes at the university must notify the Office of Registration and Records/Enrollment Services and follow the withdrawal procedures posted by that office.

Tuition Refund Policy and Return to Title IV Aid Policy

Return to the top



Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV or Federal Aid)

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes (officially or unofficially) may only keep the federal financial aid that they have earned up to the time of official withdrawal or assessed date of unofficial withdrawal. Funds that were disbursed and are no longer considered earned must be returned to the federal government by the university or the student.

The Office of Financial Aid publishes this information and administers the Return of Title IV (Federal) Aid.

Tuition Refund Policy and Return to Title IV Aid Policy

Return to the top



Descriptions of Academic Programs

Information on the universityís academic programs and degree offerings is available from the various schools and their admitting offices.

Return to the top

Instructional Facilities and Labs

Institutional Facilities and Labs

Return to the top



Instructional Personnel

Information on the universityís faculty and instructional personnel is available from the various schools/colleges.       


Accreditation Information

The accreditation information for the University of Michigan-Dearborn is located in the Office of the Provost's Website.

Students may review copies of documents regarding entities that accredit, license or approve the institution and its programs.  Please contact the Office of the Provost for protocol in scheduling the review of these documents.

Return to the top

Satisfactory Academic Progress

This is the term used to denote a studentís successful work toward a certificate of degree.  Additional information is available in our publication.

Return to the top



Services for Disabled Students

For information on programs and services for special needs and disabled students, contact the Office of Counseling and Support Services for Disability Resource Services at 2157 University Center or by telephone at 313.539-5430.


Return to the top

Drug and Alcohol Prevention

Under the "Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988" and the "Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1991" the University is required to notify all employees and students of its specific alcohol and drug policy program.  The Department of Public Safety maintains this prevention program and policy.


Return to the top

Information about Financial Assistance

Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid. Most information is available in the Office of Financial Aid publication Required Reading, on the Office of Financial Aid Web site at and in the Federal publication Funding Your Education Beyond High School at and in paper format at the Office of Financial Aid and the Enrollment Services area.

Return to the top



Overview of Financial Aid Programs

Need-based Financial Aid Programs are divided into three main categories: grants, loans and work study.


Federal Direct Loan

Federal Perkins Loan

Federal Direct PLUS

Work Study

In addition, students can pursue scholarships and other resources to help them meet their educational costs. Scholarship information is available at and is based on a variety of categories: freshmen, transfer, current, graduate, state of Michigan, private and special governmental programs.

Return to the top

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students apply for financial aid consideration by completing the FAFSA. Information about the application process can be viewed at .

Return to the top



Aid Eligibility Requirements

There are general requirements for all students receiving federal financial aid. Information can be found online at the Federal Student Aid website.
Paper versions are available at the Office of Financial Aid and at the Enrollment Services Office.

Return to the top


How Eligibility for Need-Based Aid is Determined and How Need-Based Aid is Awarded

Need-based financial aid eligibility is determined by the information provided on the FAFSA and calculated through the EFC (Expected Family Contribution) Formula. The calculation results in an EFC (Expected Family Contribution). The EFC is deducted from the studentís cost of attendance to determine eligibility for need-based programs.

For more information:

Additional information is available in the Required Reading publication.

Return to the top



Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Enrolled students can apply for university-approved study abroad programs and receive financial aid.  More information is available in our study abroad section.


Return to the top



Rights and Responsibilities of Aid Recipients

Information for both programs is available online at Federal Student Aid or available in booklet form from the Office of Financial Aid.

Return to the top

Scholarship Fraud

According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use the following lines to sell their scholarship services. Students should avoid any scholarship service or Web site that says the following:

  • "The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back."
  • "You can't get this information anywhere else."
  • "I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship."
  • "We'll do all the work."
  • "The scholarship will cost some money."
  • "You've been selected by a 'national foundation' to receive a scholarship" or "You're a finalist" in a contest you never entered.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. 

Additional information is available in the Scholarship & Financial Aid Scams section of the Web site as well as on the Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000.

Return to the top

Completion, Graduation and Retention Rates

The University of Michigan-Dearborn graduation rates for full-time, first-time in a college can be viewed at the National Center for Education Statistics.

Return to the top

Information About Student Body Diversity

Student body diversity is recorded in several university reports compiled by the Office of Institutional Research:

  • Ethnicity by unit and by undergraduate and graduate status
  • Gender and ethnicity by college 

Return to top

Post-Graduation Information on Job Placement and Education

Information on post-graduation job placement and education is available from the Career Services Office. 

Return to top

Completion/Graduation Rates for Student Athletes

The University of Michigan-Dearborn participates in Federal Title IV programs and awards athletically-related student aid. In compliance with the Equity in Athletics Act (EADA), the University provides information completion rates to potential student athletes and to their parents, high school coaches and guidance counselors.

Return to the top

Athletic Program Participation and Financial Support

The University of Michigan-Dearborn also provides a report on the number of students, categorized by race and gender who attended school during the previous year and within each sports those students who received athletically related student aid categorized by race and gender. 

UM-Dearborn's Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) Report is available online.

Return to the top

Campus Safety and Security

The University of Michigan-Dearborn Department of Public Safety and Environmental Health prepares the Annual Disclosure of Crime Statistics to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. This report is published each October 1 with crime statistics for the most recent three years.

The  2014-2015 Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety  Report is distributed by the Department of Public Safety and Environmental Health and can be viewed online.

The Department of Public Safety and Environmental Health has also prepared emergency response and evacuation procedures for student, faculty and staff.  Details can be viewed online by category of emergency on the Emergency page.

It is the mission of the Public Safety and Environmental Health Department to provide and promote a safe and secure campus community while respecting the rights and dignity of all persons utilizing facilities and programs at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. The Public Safety and Environmental Health Department is located at 1300 Campus Support Service Building and can be reached by telephone at 313.593-9953.

Return to the top

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at the University of Michigan-Dearborn collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the university, both university policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning these records. The Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) establishes the rules and regulations regarding access to and disclosure of student records.

FERPA deals specifically with the Educational Records of students, affording them certain rights with respect to those records. For purposes of definition, Educational Records are those records which are: directly related to a student and maintained by an institution or a party acting for the institution.

FERPA gives students who reach the age of 18 or who attend a postsecondary institution the right to inspect and review their own Educational Records. Furthermore, students have other rights, including the right to request amendment of records and to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from these records.

FERPA applies to the Educational Records of persons who are or have been in attendance in postsecondary institutions, including students in cooperative and correspondence study programs. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for admission who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not attend an institution. Furthermore, rights are not given by FERPA to students enrolled in one component of an institution who seek to be admitted in another component of an institution.

These policies are established by the University of Michigan-Dearborn. The Office of Registration and Records is the primary contact for FERPA related questions or inquiries and is the office that processes the Waiver for Disclose Information as well as to rescind the Waiver upon written student request.

The Registration and Records Office is located at 1169 University Center and the telephone number is 313.593-5300.

Return to the top

University of Michigan's Nondiscrimination Policy Statement

Subject to Change:

Because of the nature of federal, state, and institutional guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this Web site is subject to change.

The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, or Vietnam-era veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Senior Director for Institutional Equity and Title IX/Section 504 Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388. For other University of Michigan information call 734-764-1817.

Return to the top

Complaint Procedures

The University encourages students and prospective students to address complaints relating to UM's institutional policies and consumer protection issues first with personnel in the office, department, school, or college that led to the complaint alleged.  If needed, senior University administrators may also become involved to help resolve complaints.

If you have concerns regarding the quality of instruction provided at the University or the University's ongoing ability to meet its accreditation requirements, you may contact the University's accreditor, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association Colleges and Schools, using the process described at

If your concerns about the University involve consumer protection issues, you may contact the Consumer Protection Division within the Michigan Attorney General's Office using the procedure described at,1607,7-164-17331-42077--,00.html.